Help: No video output - graphics card or motherboard?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TC, Jun 18, 2007.

  1. TC

    TC Guest

    Homebrew system: Asus m/b, Nvidia Gforce 5200 graphics card, 1 Gig
    RAM.

    I had been keeping my desktop running but turning off the monitor to
    save electricity. A couple of days ago, I turned on the monitor and
    there was no video output.

    I eliminated the monitor as the problem by connecting my laptop to it.
    Looks great.

    Next I reseated the graphics card. Nothing.

    Swapped out the graphics card to an old ATI Radeon 8500. Win98
    started up in VGA Safe mode (obviously because the loaded driver was
    for the Nvidia card). Suddenly the picture went away to be replaced
    by multicolored video bars.

    Thinking that win98 was the culprit, I rebooted, first into BIOS, then
    using the Ultimate bootCD. Everything looked fine with black/white
    display, then I ran a 3d benchmarking program from the CD - the
    display went away into the colored bars again.

    Now I get absolutely nothing for output and the monitor light stays
    yellow, like it's getting a shutoff signal from the computer.

    Does this sound like I have 2 bad video cards, or is the AGP slot
    fried?

    Tom

    TC, Jun 18, 2007