  1. dave1966

    dave1966 Guest

    help newby to newsgroups how can I convert rar/rar2 files I have tried winrar with no luck thanks

    dave1966, Jan 3, 2004

  2. dave1966

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 16:30:26 +0000, dave1966 wrote:

    Don't post using your account name.
    Don't post with a working email addy, all you get is spammed.
    http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/html/abuse/howavoid.shtml
    A file name would be?

    The NG or any particular post may be?

    It could be RARs , posted in sections that you need to join together
    first. Start here, ripped from an often repeated in 24HSHD gangle post.

    === paste start , see if you spot the end ===
    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries:
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE5 or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    Note: OE does not internally decode yEnc messages.
    You must use a third-party program to acheive this,
    the easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/

    Again, I suggest that, for binaries, it would be more
    practical to just switch to one of the dedicated newsreaders
    mentioned above, which all handle yEnc internally.

    ======

    Me

    why?, Jan 3, 2004

  3. dave1966

    why? Guest

    So ignore the bit above ^^^^ that should have been cut from a paste
    before posting :)
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jan 3, 2004
  4. dave1966

    Barry OGrady Guest

    What would you like to convert them to and why?

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Jan 4, 2004