    first? Somebody said Dell was not propiatary but it sure seems that
    way to me.
    Need a dell person to help here I think.

    dodger, Mar 13, 2005

  2. dodger

    Keme Guest

    Assuming you are using both your old and new hard disks at the same time:

    With two hard disks on the same IDE cable you need to set up one as
    master and the other as slave. If they are on separate cables, both
    should be "Single" (if available) or "master".
    Look at your new drive to see if there are any indicated jumper settings
    printed on.
    If your IDE cable is of the "Cable select" type, both drives should have
    the jumpers set for "CD" (Cable Detect) or "CS" (Cable Select). With a
    straight through cable (slightly more likely), you'll have to set
    jumpers individually:
    Assuming you want your old hard drive as system drive, like before, and
    the new one as extra storage space:
    -Ensure the old drive is set to "Master" (Probably is, but it may be set
    to "Single")
    -Set the new one to "Slave"

    Keme, Mar 15, 2005