HELP! network novice

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Jim, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    OK Chaps

    Been busy with kids last couple of days and am just catching up with
    postings.
    So, Sunil, you recommend I get the Belkin modem router, how easy is that to
    set up, I am with Freeserve BB, will I have lots of settings to change, will
    I be able to do it with two teenagers looking over my shoulder and breathing
    down my neck while tapping there feet, doesn't matter, I think they've give
    up on their non tech dad and are starting to look through yellow pages under
    "Computer Networking" think they are going to call the experts in If I don't
    get sorted soon.
    Finally, Ferger, please come round and install it for me, I live in the NE,
    doesn't matter where you live in the UK, it's got to be cheaper paying for
    your transport than it is if I let the girls have their own way :)

    Cheers

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Jim

    Ferger Guest

    Jim secured a place in history by writing:
    There are going to be many boxes around that have the same capability.
    Personally I'm a fan of Draytek kit, but this box strikes me as offering
    good value for money, and Belkin are an established make. You could search
    around for routers that have a) built-in switch are b) 802.11G capable c)
    built-in ADSL modem. Or you could buy this one.
    Let's be clear - this isn't 'easy' and you might be better off enlisting
    some help from someone who's done it before. Ideally you're going to want
    to get the router working first (which means you can access its
    configuration options from the desktop via the browser and that your
    desktop is allocated an IP address), then enter your connection details on
    the router and check you can access the internet. Finally, switch on the
    wireless capability and get it running with the laptop. If you have no
    experience of networking you can get caught out at every step by something
    that will appear incomprehensible unless you understand why you are doing
    it. Doesn't mean you can't do it but expect to learn a lot in the process.
    If you retain internet access one way or another you have the collective
    expertise of this group to call on......

    The good thing is, once it's working, it's likely to work forever :)
    If you were local I'd consider it, really. But I'm in SE London, and for
    the transport fees you can probably find a local computer shop that can set
    it up for the same price :-(

    Ferger, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Jim

    Ferger Guest

    Sunil Sood secured a place in history by writing:
    I stand corrected. I realised later I had clicked on Jim's link from PCW,
    not yours :)

    Ferger, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Jim

    Rob Graham Guest

    Jim, Ferger

    Good entertainment guys and so useful to yet another novice.

    Instad of daughters (left home now thank goodness), I've a wife who's
    breathing down my neck (and not in the nice way either), and perhaps
    that's worse as I can't just tell her to p*** off like I did to the
    kids. She wants access to the 2 printers and the ADSL modem on my
    desktop. How does the router fit in with this requirement? I get the
    impression that the routers you are talking about only allow access to
    the net.

    Does this require a seperate PC as a server with the modem and
    printers on it and the desktop and laptop wirelssly linked to it?

    Rob

    Rob Graham, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Thanks for sticking with me Ferger, appreciate your advice. I am now going
    to put a call out for anyone who lives in the Sunderland area and ask if
    they have 1st, set up a wireless network and 2nd, fancy helping out someone
    who thinks a router is for making nice patterns in lumps of wood.

    I see Rob has a question for us, being an expert in such matters I know the
    answer to his question but I am going to hand it over to you Ferger ;-)

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 20, 2004
  6. Jim

    Ferger Guest

    Any router you buy for domestic use will also have a switch built in, a
    switch in this sense being a slightly cleverer version of a hub, which
    is in itself a basic device for networking several computers. So any of
    the routers we've been talking about also provide networking capability
    ie - you will be able to share your printers with any other device
    connected to the router, share the drives / CD players / DVD players
    etc. This is, incidentally, an excellent way to backup data, since you
    can easily set up routines to copy all important data from A-B and vice
    -versa). Once the network is running you just tell the desktop to share
    whichever resources you want access to - in that sense, it becomes 'a
    server' for those resources.

    Where is your wife's machine? If it's local to yours, you don't
    actually need anything more than a network (crossover) cable to achieve
    what you want, assuming both machines already have network cards in.
    Having said that, the cheapest route is also the trickiest to set up
    ....for maximum simplicity, I'd go for the same solutions we've been
    talking to Jim about (assuming you want the wireless capability - if not
    you need only buy a wired router)

    HTH...

    Ferger, Feb 21, 2004
  7. Jim

    Rob Graham Guest

    My wife's m/c is is about 8m away in a neighbouring room. I'm not
    aware of either m/c having network capability - what this means is
    that I haven't actually checked to see if there is some facility on
    the m/board that I've not accounted for.

    So if I go out and buy a wireless router and plug it into a usb port
    on my pc and one of the USB pen things for the laptop, then apart from
    the setting up part, that's all I need ?

    Rob

    Rob Graham, Feb 21, 2004
  8. Jim

    Ferger Guest

    Rob Graham secured a place in history by writing:
    You need network capability on both devices - which may mean putting a
    network card in the desktop (take the case off and slot in a card) or
    possiby a wireless network card (much the same) and a wireless network card
    in the laptop (easy, stick it in the slot on the side somewhere)

    Ferger, Feb 21, 2004
  9. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Sorry Ferger, finally went for the belkin 54g network card at £44, this
    compares with the modem come router at over £100, yes I know, I will
    probably regret it later.
    Anyway, followed the Belkin instructions, installed software, then installed
    hardware.................................not a b****y thing on either
    computer, I had started at 1pm, at 5.15pm I gave Belkin a ring to see if
    they could help me out, a nice foreign sounding gentleman at the other end
    told me I was a complete idiot for trying to use XP to set up my network,
    and that I should have used Belkin, of course I should, just like it didn't
    tell me in the instructions.
    After half an hour tweaking about with settings, my two computers are at
    least acknowledging that they are on the same planet,

    I now really need to find out how to protect my network from the whole of
    the NE of England, as I speak, there are half a dozen fifth form kids
    sitting on my garden wall opening their laptops, HOW DO I SET WEP UP, I
    could tell from the tone of his voice, that nice man from Belkin had
    probably missed his last train home, where his wife was waiting for him,
    clad in something skimpy, and a nice meal and a bottle of wine where ready
    for him on the table,

    Any hints, tips, gratefully accepted.

    Cheers, all the best.

    Jim
    ps, two teenage girls have started to smile at me again, hope it lasts

    Jim, Feb 25, 2004
  10. Jim

    Ferger Guest

    Jim secured a place in history by writing:
    So you've managed to get both machines accessing the internet via the modem
    plugged into the desktop? Cool!
    Difficult to advise, since I don't know the kit. There must be some way to
    configure the card, probably via a web browser interface. Don't the
    instructions make any reference to it?

    In essence, all you need to do is enter a key in the configuration
    interface for the desktop (which you choose), and the same key on the
    laptop. You probably also want to find out where you can switch off
    broadcasting the SSID of the network - which stops anyone from getting off
    first base trying to hack in.

    Ferger, Feb 28, 2004
  11. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Ferger

    Thanks for the reply, I HAD everything up and running, folder sharing,
    internet sharing, printer sharing, everything was tickety boo.
    The one thing I was concerned about, as in last post, was security.
    My lovely wife, (anyone want her) said there was a guy at work who was
    really up on computers, "EVERYONE" went to him and he knew everything there
    was to know about WIFi, so he turned up yesterday at the house with his
    laptop to see if he could hack into my network.

    Three hours later he leaves saying "sorry, can't help you" and now my
    computers wont even look at one another, he has well and truly buggered up
    my settings, he fiddled about with the WEP, and tried to put passwords in,
    and so on and so on,

    After a call to Belkin they told me to run a test on the IP on both
    machines. on the desktop it was192.168.0.1 on the laptop I think it started
    169, or something like that,
    anyway, man from belkin says the card in your laptop needs new drivers,
    tried to explain that it had been working the night before, wasn't
    interested, nice one belkin, you come close to PC World

    I have tried playing about with settings, sometimes the laptops IP changes
    to 192.168.0.31, and everything works fine, as soon as I switch machines
    off, then on again, they wont look at each other.

    Getting tired of it now, kids can't blame me now though, but if I don't sort
    it out it's back to black looks.

    If you can help me out with this one I will forever be in your debt.

    Cheers

    Jim, growing older by the minute

    Jim, Feb 28, 2004
  12. Jim

    Ferger Guest

    I would start by running the network setup wizard from control panel on
    both machines. The laptop needs to pick up an IP address from the
    desktop and it doesn't sound like it is. XP is pretty good at sorting
    out networking I understand, and this may be the simplest route to sort
    out your problems...

    Ferger, Feb 29, 2004
  13. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Ferger

    The nice man from Belkin told me I had to set up the network through
    Belkin's Wireless Configuration Utility or it wont work.

    On the laptop, the set up is through the Broadcom Utility, do you think
    setting up both through XP would do the trick? scared to touch the thing
    now, kept loosing the kids Messenger, lost connection box for internet and
    other things. but after uninstalling card and doing system restore all is
    back to normal pre network card.

    That network card has been taken out and reinstalled no less than SEVEN
    times now, I have took the laptop back to factory setting with the recovery
    disk THREE time, kids loved that, lost all the Sims, more black looks.

    Once again thanks

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 1, 2004
  14. Jim

    Ferger Guest

    I can't see that using the XP wizard is going to do any harm.....the
    Belkin utility sounds like it is dealing with the wireless aspects, not
    the actual network. But I'm a bit in the dark here....

    Ferger, Mar 1, 2004
  15. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Thanks for the help Ferger, much appreciated

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 2, 2004