Help needed with which digital camera to buy!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Karen H, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. Karen H

    Karen H Guest

    I have been looking at digital cameras and have narrowed it down to 3.
    want to upgrade to a more "professional" camera. It is so hard to
    decide! I
    would like something that I could take great pictures of my
    grandchildren,
    indoors and outdoors and also landscape photos. Do all these cameras
    have
    interchangeable lenses and also have filters available?

    The ones I have narrowed it down to:
    Canon EOS 350D/Digital Rebel XT
    Nikon Coolpix 8700
    Nikon Coolpix 8400

    I would appreciate everyone's comments!

    Karen

    Karen H, Dec 23, 2005

  2. Karen H

    DS Guest

    I have a Canon ET and I'm delighted with it...
    It feels good in the hand, provides great quality, even does great B&W work
    with built in (electronic) red, green and yellow filters. The only negative
    is the kit lens which has a bit of barrel distortion but then it takes any
    Canon lens.
    I'm just back from China, first trip I've made with digital equipment. No
    worries about x-rays or running out of film. Or dust and scratches.
    Although I carried a telephoto, I found I didn't really need it. If you
    shoot at high definition and don't plan on really huge prints, you usually
    can crop your telephoto effect. The quality is that good! This is a 35mm
    size camera that gives images as good as my old 2 1/4 Rolleiflex and that's
    a sharp puppy.
    I'm sure Nikon is just as good. But I'm very very happy with my Canon.
    One I have been warned away from is the Olympus.
    ds

    DS, Dec 23, 2005

  3. Karen H

    Skip M Guest

    The Canon is a DSLR, so it does have interchangeable lenses, the two Nikons
    are compacts, and do not. All will be competent for the uses you mention,
    you don't necessarily need an SLR type camera to accomplish them. And
    filters are available for all of them, too.

    Skip M, Dec 23, 2005
  4. Karen H

    peter Guest

    If they are toddlers, I suggest a camera with quick ON time and fast
    shot-to-shot speed.

    You can further your research at www.dpreview.com. They have the
    specifications of all digital cameras and reviews of many of them.

    peter, Dec 23, 2005
  5. Karen H

    bj286 Guest

    Minolta 5D: Anti-Shake
    Pentax DS: TTL Flash
    Nikon D50: 1/500s X Sync
    Canon 350D: 8MP

    50/1.4
    20/2.8

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

    bj286, Dec 23, 2005
  6. Karen H

    Adrian Hoe Guest

    Yes, I agree. A compact with quick on and flash will be good for
    toddlers. But most of the compact camera have very slow shot-to-shot
    speed. Mostly, they have long latency (delay) within shuttle pressed
    and picture taken. With a DSLR, you are able to do continuos shot,
    depending on your DSLR capability. If you can settle with the DSLR
    built-in flash, then it is more than good enough than compact. The DSLR
    is almost instant-on. But if you prefer an external flash for better
    picture quality, than you will need some time to install the flash gun.
    By the time you are done, the toddler has run away! :)

    My experience with my 2 dinos! :)

    Adrian Hoe, Dec 23, 2005
  7. Karen H

    Adrian Hoe Guest

    Adrian Hoe, Dec 23, 2005
  8. Karen H

    Adrian Hoe Guest

    Why have you been warned away from Olympus? The ultra sonic vibrator on
    the sensor really cool.

    Adrian Hoe, Dec 23, 2005
  9. Karen H

    MaryL Guest

    The Nikons you listed do not have interchangeable lenses. If you do decide
    to go that route, I suggest that you look at the 8800. I have that one, and
    it is excellent -- and a level up from the others, I think (also without
    intrchangeable lenses because it is not SLR).

    MaryL

    MaryL, Dec 23, 2005
  10. Karen, as others have said, the Canon 350 is a DSLR making it different to
    the others. More "professional"? Possibly yes. Nikon make a similar D50
    model with a better standard lens.

    For faster response, and a wider angle view for landscapes, I would
    recommend the Nikon 8400 over the 8700. The 8400 has a wide-angle zoom
    (24 - 85mm), compared to the telephoto zoom of the 8700, and this
    telephoto zoom lacks image stabilisation (the later 8800 model has IS
    [which Nikon call vibration reduction - VR]). You can get lens adapters
    (not interchangeable lenses) for both the Nikon 8400 and 8700/8800. The
    Nikon cameras offer you almost as much creative control as the DSLR. Yes,
    you can get things like polarising and neutral-density filters - the
    effects of coloured filters can largely be reproduced in software.

    I have the fast Nikon 8400 for wide angle, and the lightweight but very
    capable image-stabilised Panasonic FZ5 for telephoto. I have moved away
    from SLR cameras because of the great weight and bulk of the lenses
    (particularly telephoto) and the very high costs.

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 23, 2005
  11. Karen H

    pboch Guest

    Take a look at the D 50...

    --
    _________________
    Patrick/g

    pboch, Dec 23, 2005
  12. Karen H

    Tesco News Guest

    Hi.

    You have received a lot of replies, and some suggestions for other models of
    cameras.

    The best advice is to go to a store and handle the ones you are interested
    in.

    There is not much point in having Camera X with feature Y, which allegedly
    makes it the best in the world, if you do not enjoy holding it and feel
    uncomfortable when using it.

    Any of the DSLRs or Electronic View Finder types will be more than capable
    of doing what you need.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Dec 23, 2005
  13. Karen H

    peter Guest

    I have been looking at digital cameras and have narrowed it down to 3.
    Another suggestion for shooting toddlers -- since you may have to watch them
    to catch the magic moment (when they smile and look over), viewing through a
    DSLR's view finder may get tiring after awhile, since DSLR do not have live
    preview.

    If you use a non dslr, you can watch the LCD screen and the subject at the
    same time.

    Having said that, it's hard to beat the image quality of a DSLR and the
    shot-to-shot speed. DSLR is not only more expensive, they are very bulky to
    carry around. So if you plan to shoot the grandchildren at all occasions
    (e.g. on trips), you may want something easier to carry around.

    Picking the right camera is not easy. That may be why I ended up with
    several digital cameras and are still reading new model reviews.

    peter, Dec 23, 2005
  14. Karen H

    Bolshoy Huy Guest

    Panasonic
    Lumix DMC-FZ30 - 8.3mp, 12x(35 - 420mm) - tilt LCD - $520

    Kodak
    EasyShare P880 - 8.0mp, 5.8x(24-140mm) - $500
    [Proprietary Battery]

    Canon
    PowerShot Pro1 - 8.3mp, 7x(28-200mm) - $620(J&R)
    G6 Powershot 7.1 - 7.1mp, 4x(35-140mm) - $550

    Sony
    DSC-R1 - 10mp, 24mm-120mm(5x) zoom lens

    Fuji
    S9000 - 9.2 mp, 10.7x(28-300mm) - $550

    Olympus
    SP-500UZ - 6mp, 38-380mm(10x) zoom lens
    C-7000 - 7.1mp, 5x(38mm - 190mm)

    SLR:
    Canon
    Rebel XT 8MP with EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens - $875
    EOS 20D 8mp with 18-55mm Lens -

    Pentax
    *iST-DL 6.1mp w/Pentax SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL AF Zoom Lens -
    $750.
    *ist DS 6.1MP with Pentax DA with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Digital SLR
    Lens.

    Nikon
    D50 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom - $800

    Olympus
    EVOLT-300 8MP, with 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ Digital Zoom Lens - $685 [$620
    just body]
    EVOLT-500 - 8mp, $700[just body]

    Bolshoy Huy, Dec 23, 2005
  15. Karen H

    Rich Guest

    Coolpix 8800.
    -Rich

    Rich, Dec 23, 2005
  16. Karen H

    Karnail Guest

    can U tell me how can I use this 350 for bird photography and for
    shooting distant objects. i plan to buy one. how much it costs?

    Karnail, Dec 24, 2005
  17. Karen H

    Karnail Guest

    I have a 4600 can u guide me if this camera can be used for bird
    photography . what attachments can be attached to it and what will
    these do?

    Karnail, Dec 24, 2005
  18. Karen H

    Bill Funk Guest

    No, it can't. There's a chip inside it that will not allow it to take
    any pictures if it recognizes any bird-like images. It won't even take
    pictures of kites or airplanes.
    You can attach a rock to it; this will make it heavier.
    You can attach a pillow to it; this will make it softer.

    Just in case you're serious (which I seriously doubt), look on Nikon's
    site to see what can be added to it.
    Can it take pictures of birds? THINK!! What does it take to take
    pictures of birds? Given your email name, you should be able to figure
    it out.
    Don't ask others to do your thinking for you. After you've run out of
    facts and ideas, THEN ask for help. But you haven't put any thought
    into this at all.

    Bill Funk, Dec 24, 2005
  19. Karen H

    Adrian Hoe Guest

    Bird photography? Be prepared for a huge investment. You will need the
    L series tele lens with image stabilization if you want to take
    pictures of birds in flight.

    The 350D kits that comes with the body and the basic lens is quite
    cheap. Personally, I think there is no difference between 20D and 350D
    although 20D is a higher end camera with some better features than
    350D. That depends on your budget and your requirement. For a hobbyist,
    350D should be sufficient.

    I chose 350D instead of 20D based on my requirement and since I am a
    hobbyist, it is not a necessity for a 20D. I may go for something much
    higher, like the new 5D one day if I find more things I can do with the
    camera and perhaps be a part-time photographer. :)

    Adrian Hoe, Dec 28, 2005
  20. Karen H

    bj286 Guest

    200/2.8