    What am I missing?
    Thanks,
    Terry

    Terry, Aug 9, 2007

  2. Terry

    SMS Guest

    On my Canon D-SLR you have to remove the battery door from the camera to
    attach the battery grip. I suspect it's the same for this grip.

    I went and looked at the review on Amazon for the MB-E5700, and it says
    that you have to remove two parts and that there is a place on the grip
    to store them, but it didn't say what the parts were. I suspect that one
    of the parts is the battery door.

    I don't see the advantage of this accessory, as it forces you to use AA
    batteries. All the reviews complain about how fast the camera eats AA
    batteries.

    SMS, Aug 9, 2007

  3. Terry

    Paul Allen Guest

    What's wrong with AA batteries? Oh, I forgot. It's a matter of faith
    with you.
    That's obviously a camera problem, not a battery problem. But, people
    reported it on both the 5700 and the 8700. Sounds like those cameras
    don't know how to accurately tell when the six NiMH batteries are low,
    so that particular grip doesn't make much sense. Where's Rita B. when
    you need a Nikon basher?

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Aug 10, 2007
  4. Terry

    F. D. Lewis Guest

    RTFM!!!

    OK, now that I've got that out of my system, here is what the manual
    says to do:

    Attaching the Battery Pack

    Before attaching the battery pack, be sure that the camera is off and
    that the shutter-release button locking ring (Figure 1-) on the
    battery pack is in the L position.

    1 Remove the battery pack contacts cover (Figure 1-). Be sure to
    replace the battery pack contacts cover whenever the battery pack is
    not in use.

    2 Open the battery-chamber cover in the base of the camera handgrip
    (Figure 2A) and remove the battery, if present.

    3 Remove the coupling contacts cover, also found on the base of the
    camera, by pushing it down at  and sliding it out in the direction
    of the arrow, as shown in Figure 2A. Fully insert the coupling
    contacts cover into the coupling contacts cover holder on the MBE5700
    as shown in Figure 2A-.

    4 Hold the battery-chamber cover at about 45°, gently pull until the
    peg (Figure 2B-) pulls free and remove the cover. Insert the battery-
    chamber cover into the battery-chamber cover holder MB-E5700 and slide
    the battery-chamber cover latch to the position as shown in Figure
    2B-

    5 Insert the battery pack as shown in Figure 2C.

    6 Firmly tighten the attachment wheel as shown in Figure 2D.

    To remove the battery pack, reverse the above steps.

    F. D. Lewis, Aug 10, 2007