    better than none!

    Many thanks,

    Noel

    Noel S Pamfree, Oct 27, 2007

  2. Here are links and general wireless security guidelines for connecting a
    Vista or XP machine wirelessly. You can save off the wireless encryption key
    to a flash drive for later use or for use by guests...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/SoHoWirelessSecurity.html

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    Sooner Al [MVP], Oct 27, 2007

  3. Noel S Pamfree

    Lem Guest

    A model number for your Belkin router would have been nice.

    In addition to the "Wizard" on the CD that came with the router, there
    should be a pdf User Manual. Read the section on "Web-Based Advanced
    User Interface" under "Alternate Setup Method."

    Although you need to do more in order to correctly configure your router
    so that you could share files and printers between the laptop and the
    other computers, in order to do just what you asked:

    1. Connect an Ethernet cable between one of the Belkin's 4 blue "wired
    computer" ports and any one of your computers.

    2. Open a browser (IE, Firefox) on that computer and enter 192.168.2.1
    in the address location. You should see the router's home page. Leave
    the password blank and click submit.

    3. Click on the link for the wireless settings. I suggest setting a
    unique SSID as well as enabling WPA (or WPA2 if available and your
    laptop supports it) encryption (you want PSK and AES, if offered choices).

    After you're done, you can disconnect the Ethernet cable. You only need
    to connect to the router that way while configuring it.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.

    Lem, Oct 27, 2007
  4. Thanks - worked Great!

    Noel S Pamfree, Oct 27, 2007
  5. Noel S Pamfree