Help needed URGENTLY

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Lee, Aug 16, 2010.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    For whatever bizarre reason, Exact Audio Copy isn't detecting or
    recognizing either of the 2 CD/DVD disc drives on my PC (both are CD/
    DVD+/-RW burners), which runs on Windows XP - EAC isn't recognizing
    any disc drives at all! That's despite the fact that both disc drives
    are working fine (I've tried playing music CD's in each) without any
    evidence of any problems at all. By now I've exhaustively tried just
    about everything that I could possibly think of, most of them multiple
    times each, but to absolutely no avail, and I've spent hours trying to
    resolve this problem with nothing but maddening frustration(s)
    resulting from it.

    The problem started when I tried ripping a music CD to my PC's hard-
    drive, but there was an error or problem that caused EAC to freeze up,
    and after I finally managed somehow to shut it down with a lot of
    repetitive efforts (using the CTRL, ATL, & DELETE buttons on my
    keyboard simultaneously), I started EAC up again, and that's when I
    discovered that EAC is no longer detecting any disc drives at all.

    I've already tried using EAC's configuration wizard, and also deleting
    all old versions of EAC & all of its associated files that I could
    find on my PC and then downloading & installing the most recently
    updated version (0.99 pre-beta 5 from
    http://www.digital-world.de/artikel...xact_audio_copy_099_prebeta_5_international/1),
    but to absolutely no avail. I've also even tried using the Windows
    System Restore program, but for every restore point that I tried, I
    just get a message saying that the attempt was incomplete and that no
    changes were made to my PC without any explanation at all of why the
    attempt failed completely. And I've also tried using the Add Hardware
    program in the Control Panel of Windows to re-detect each of my CD/DVD
    disc drives, but that doesn't work at all either.

    Again, by now I've become quite frustrated & even desperate. So
    *please help* - it'll be tremendously appreciated. Thanks.

    Lee, Aug 16, 2010

  2. Lee

    Paul Guest

    Your optical drive is part of a complete ecosystem, with all sorts
    of good and bad elements at play. (Said another way, the idiots who
    designed the OS, allowed user software to fool around with too many
    features of the optical drive, to make it a perfectly reliable
    part of your computer. Take "autorun" on optical devices, as another
    example of something that just should not exist. Autorun makes
    a great infection vector.)

    Here is an example. Maybe this is what happened to you.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Copy_Protection

    If you're talking about using the CD drive, to play music and output
    the signal using the analog output (four pin audio or the front jack), that
    isn't much of a test of the CD drive. If you're using DAE (digital audio
    extraction) over the IDE or SATA cable, then that involves the OS a bit more.
    That would be accessing the drive using drivers and the OS.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310439

    A few problems with optical drivers, are related to Registry entries
    of the Upperfilter/Lowerfilter type. But a person should not get
    too excited about those Registry entries. There is one entry, associated
    with keyboard and mouse, that if deleted, results in the user losing
    control of the computer (keyboard and mouse no longer work). So don't
    delete every entry of that type you can find.

    The registry entries have GUID, or a unique identifying number. Using
    a table like the following one, will help you avoid randomly deleting your
    keyboard and mouse entries. You'd generally want to concentrate on
    4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. (I looked at mine right now,
    and under that, I have a Lowerfilter with a value of "IMAPI", which
    is the Windows thing that supports drag and drop writing to CDs in
    Windows. And that would be a "normal" kind of entry. There would be
    no need to delete that.)

    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/a/device-class-guid.htm

    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm

    But based on your description of the symptoms, it could well be
    that some kind of copy protection started to operate, just
    as you were trying to run EAC. Your symptoms don't sound like an
    UpperFilter/LowerFilter problem.

    For rootkits, you can run GMer, but I don't know what the tool would report
    for something like XCP.

    http://www.gmer.net/#files

    RootkitRevealer
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx (last updated 2006)

    Other members of the optical drive ecosystem, are virtual CD mounters,
    things that fool around with ASPI drivers, Alcohol 120, some
    Roxio software, iTunes???. There are quite a few things to consider, as it
    turns out, and it helps if you've been keeping track of what was
    inserted in the system recently, added as software and so on.

    I tried the EAC web site, but didn't find any lists of things known
    to fight with it.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 16, 2010

  3. Lee

    TeeJay1952 Guest

    Restore Missing CD or DVD Drive

    Reports have filtered in that CD or DVD drives will suddenly cease to
    exist in XP systems. Most often this has been reported in conjunction
    with program installations and Windows upgrades, but it has also
    happened for no apparent reason. This tweak will restore the missing
    drives after a reboot.

    [Start] [Run] [Regedit]
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
    Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
    Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the
    data values.
    Exit Registry and Reboot

    TeeJay1952, Aug 16, 2010
  4. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Thanks for the efforts to help, but now I've managed to find the
    solution elsewhere, and it was a very simple one that took approx.
    just a couple minutes. I was told via e-mail to download the file
    WNASPI32.DLL from Nero ( ftp://ftp6.nero.com/wnaspi32.dll ) and put it
    into the directory where EAC is installed. It worked immediately, so
    now I'm quite happy to report here that I no longer need any help with
    this particular problem. Thanks again for the efforts to help.

    Lee, Aug 18, 2010