help needed on portable storage devices

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Panszky, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. Mark Panszky

    Mark Panszky Guest

    Hi All,

    I am looking for a portable storage solution for storing pictures while
    travelling (travelling with a laptop is not an option for me). I am
    looking for input on the following devices from anyone who uses/used any
    of these products:

    http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.nl/c.ACCT139057/sc.2/category.3/.f

    http://store.wolverinedata.com/dr/v...id=50668&CID=0&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

    My main concerns are:

    1. transfer speed from CF card to device. (most important!)
    2. price
    3. battery power

    "Emptying" the device to the PC is not really a concern. (I have time
    :)) Right now I'm leaning towards the Vosonic X's-Drive II but I'm also
    concerned about its operating temperatures (0 C - 70 C) Does that mean I
    can't use the device under freezing point?

    I also like the Apacer Disc Steno CP-100 (looks like the most cost
    effective solution) but I'm concerned about battery power, and speed and
    it may be a bit cumbersome to handle all those CDs on the road.

    I must also mention that I live in Korea now where I can get a 2.5" HD
    for a fairly cheap price.

    Any input is appreciated,

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Mark Panszky, Jul 11, 2004

  2. I bought a 40 GB "Tripper" from mydigitaldiscount. My first use was
    on a trip to Florida. Battery life was fine, I was able to download
    pictures from by 256 MB CF cards and the battery never failed. It
    should last at least 1 1/2 hours on a full charge and that was always
    more than I needed since the transfer time from card to Tripper was
    extremely fast.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jul 11, 2004

  3. Mark Panszky

    Mark Panszky Guest

    Thanks for the info. Can you tell me approx. how long it takes to
    transfer files from the 256 MB card? Also are you able to upload files
    from the HD to the CF cards and can you create folders on the device? (I
    am also thinking of storing MP3s on it and uploading them to my MP3
    player while on the road?)

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Mark Panszky, Jul 11, 2004
  4. I just used it today for the first time in months. It takes one minute
    and 45 seconds to download 256 megs onto it.

    You can use the Tripper as a portable hard drive - you can upload
    files from your PC onto it, create folders, etc. Sounds like it is
    what you're looking for. The Image Tank and Xs-Drive also fit the
    bill.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jul 12, 2004
  5. Something like the Archos hard drive devices can do all these things: serve
    as PC external HD, receive dumps from CF card, AND play MP3s. I have a
    year-and-a-half old Archos Jukebox Multimedia, but I'm sure the ones they
    make now do even more--I think you'd be interested in their Gmini devices.
    Prices are pretty good too.

    [email protected], Jul 12, 2004
  6. Mark Panszky

    Elliott Guest

    I have the Apacer Disk steno,,,
    it works perfectly, I bit heavy to carry but i am able to download 512k
    from my canon 10d . never had any problems and writes cd's perfectly. very
    useful when traveling for prolonged periods of time.

    Elliott

    Elliott, Jul 12, 2004
  7. How much care does this unit require during travel?

    I have traveled on three continents, and maintaining camera
    equipment in good condition while traveling is only a bit
    easier than lugging an infant. Equipment gets banged around,
    you don't always have a clean and convenient desk or table
    while you are working, luggage gets dropped and crushed, and
    dirt and junk accumulate at the bottom of your tote bag and
    suitcases. All of these factors affect CD/R writers also, and
    IMO CD/R blanks are more fragile than photographic film.
    [The usable part of photographic film never(?) is exposed to
    the dirty humid environment.]

    In case of problems (or bonanza), are CD/R blanks readily
    available when you are off the beaten path? I have found
    premium 35mm film offered for sale in some very
    out-of-the-way places.

    Thanks in advance for your opinions.

    Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ

    Richard Ballard, Jul 12, 2004
  8. Mark Panszky

    Mark Panszky Guest

    Thanks again. Just a few more questions. Can the device transfer files
    to the CF card? (I'm thinking of using a CF adapter to upload MP3s to an
    SD card) and if yes can you create folders and navigate between the
    files? (eg. can you view file names?)

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Mark Panszky, Jul 12, 2004
  9. Mark Panszky

    jim Guest

    Although I'm no professional and I'm not sure about the operating
    temeratures - I have a GMINI 220 which i used on Holiday which enabled
    me to take 1.5Gb of pics with my Canon S50. Transfer speeds were good
    though i have no numbers. You CANNOT write back to the card, just
    read. Battery life - built in lithium quoted as up to 10 hours but
    much dependent on use. if used as an MP3 player you'll get about 5 or
    6 hrs play. I'm not sure if the spinning hard drive for copying uses
    more or less power than the amp to drive headphones. Very small and
    portable. Photo viewer is poor but will allow you to tell what a shot
    is but thats about it (they have an AVplayer with a colour screen).
    Dissapointed that it will not power itself from the USB port alone so
    charger needed.

    See these reviews - the thailand one may be of particular interest
    because the guy is into photography and CF storage was his main
    concern.

    http://www.stephenvoss.com/Gmini220/

    http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/335/C2564/

    Other advantage of course is that when away from home you can have all
    of your music collection with you!

    Overall I'm very pleased but as I said I'm no professional. Note that
    lithium batteries are very temperature sensetive!

    Jim

    jim, Jul 15, 2004
  10. Mark Panszky

    jim Guest

    I forgot to mention - Did you know people are breaking open Creative
    Muvo 2s in order to get the Hitachi 4Gb Microdrives out. Not sure if
    they have made changes to prevent this yet but its very cost
    effective. Search the web for how to do it. Mini Ipods apparently have
    the same drives but dont know if they are removable.

    jim, Jul 15, 2004
  11. Mark Panszky

    Bob Thomas Guest

    I have been looking for weeks at the same sort of thing, and unless
    you want to spend mega bucks the solution seems to me to be the Xdrive
    Pro (rather than the Xdrive II)

    The pro version takes all cards so it will still be useful to me if I
    change cameras, and in fact my camera takes two different card types
    anyway.

    The pro version also gives more feedback re files transferred etc than
    the earlier version.

    I'm buying an Xdrive Pro next week after looking at every other option
    I can find.

    Bob T.

    Bob Thomas, Jul 16, 2004