help: need to have W98 with two IP Address

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by jmm, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. jmm

    jmm Guest

    I've one PC (windows98SE) with :
    - usb port: -> modem -> nternet.
    - network card: -> intern lan.

    When I configure the IP Adresse, name, etc... of the network card, I
    don't see anything with ipconfig (all are 0.0.0.0) because... the modem
    on the usb port becomes an IP Address from internet provider.
    So, I couldn't running the Internet connection + my intern lan.

    That's a big problem and I've these questions:
    1° It's possible with (windows98SE) to have one IP Address on usb port
    and one other IP Address on the network card, without a second network card?
    2° Could running a router software with NAT on windows98SE? if yes,
    what're software to do that?
    3° Are they other possibilities, other ideas????

    Best regards,
    jmm

    jmm, Sep 16, 2004

  2. jmm

    Madhur Ahuja Guest

    This is not true. See, IP Address is assigned to the interface not
    to the computer. Since you have 2 interfaces, modem and network card
    you can assign 2 IP addresses.

    What I see is that you are incorrectly assigning the IP Address to the
    network card. Go to Properties of LAN and assign in TCP/IP Settings.

    Also make sure that you don't assign the IP Address to the modem connection.
    Set it to receive automatically that is DHCP.

    Then paste here the contents of *ipconfig /all*
    As said, there are 2 interfaces so 2 IP addresses can be assigned. But the
    IP
    addresses of your internet connection is usually determined at connection
    time
    i.e. when modem dials to server , it receives the IP addresses(DHCP).

    2° Could running a router software with NAT on
    No need.
    Already mentioned.

    --
    Winners dont do different things, they do things differently.

    Madhur Ahuja
    India

    Homepage : http://madhur.netfirms.com

    Madhur Ahuja, Sep 16, 2004

  3. jmm

    jmm Guest

    Could you please tells me explain more about this config, because I've
    assign the TCP/IP adapter for my network card and then...
    ....ipconfig /all tells me ethernet 0 ip 0.0.0.0 ???
    Could I really use NAT on W98?
    Regards,
    jmm

    jmm, Sep 16, 2004
  6. jmm

    Madhur Ahuja Guest

    OK, Since you are using win98, go to network control panel, Select the entry
    which looks like this TCP/IP->Ethernet Adapter and set the IP address as
    192.168.0.1 and mask as 255.255.255.0. Do the same for another machine
    but give the IP as 192.168.0.2. Do not enable DNS and do not set any
    gateways.
    If you have successfully completed the above setup, then it should show the
    IP address as 192.168.0.1. Please paste the contents of this command here.
    Also run the command *winipcfg* and see that it doesnt show the status as
    *cable disconnected*.
    Why do you want to use NAT. NAT is basically used for Internet sharing
    within a LAN.

    Madhur Ahuja, Sep 16, 2004
  7. jmm

    Martin Guest

    Apart from the answers you already have, is there a reason you need to
    manually assign an IP address to the network card?? I used to run 2 x 98SE
    machines, one also with modem, and the system assigned the IP addresses in
    all cases... The modem was always the ISP assigned IP address, and the
    network card would be assigned an IP address IF it needed one - i.e. if
    there was no connection to the network card, there would be no IP address
    assigned.

    Is this what your problem is? Is there anything connected to the LAN? If
    not, then that's why the ethernet hasn't got an IP address (and it doesn't
    need one).

    Martin, Sep 17, 2004
  8. jmm

    jmm Guest

    So, my 98SE machine has a connection thru modem (usb port) with Internet
    (the ISP assigned IP address) and a network card connected with other
    PC's thru a switch, that it!
    When I put the command ipconfig /all I see the IP address from the ISP
    because he take the TCP/IP drivers and not my other IP address.
    I'd like to have two live connection, one to Internet, the second to the
    intern LAN and both IP addres in two different subnet :)

    I think that's not running with 98SE!!!? Perhaps do you have any better
    idea ?
    jmm

    jmm, Sep 17, 2004
  9. jmm

    jmm Guest

    Ok, I'll try again... thanks
    ....this too!
    Yeah, because I'll use two differents IP subnet (ISP + LAN) and I don't
    want that other guys in Internet know my own IP subnet and address from
    my Intern LAN :)

    jmm

    jmm, Sep 17, 2004
  10. jmm

    Martin Guest

    Does the network card have TCP/IP protocol installed? Check in control
    panel....

    If you've just added the network card, try selecting Add new hardware and
    that should then install what you need to get it all running. If you go to
    the TCP/IP protocol of the NETWORK card, you can enter a static IP address
    as others have said, but if there is no TCP/IP protocol installed for the
    network card then that is your problem.
    Yep, no problem, it will do that no worries, but by the sounds of it your
    network card isn't fully installed properly - TCP/IP protocol needs to be
    installed on that one as well as the internet connection, and the two
    configure seperately.

    OK - go to Control Panel then open up Network. Scroll down the list of
    protocol's and services installed - you should find a TCP/IP entry for the
    internet connection AND a second TCP/IP for the ethernet card. If not, then
    there is your problem and you will need to either add TCP/IP protocol for
    the ethernet card OR as I said above try Add New Hardware and install the
    ethernet card again.

    If you find the TCP/IP for the ethernet card, highlight it and select
    Properties. This will then let you either configure Auto IP or specify IP
    address. I find mine worked OK allocating it's own IP address, but you can
    allocate if you want - as other said, try 192.168.0.1, subnet mask
    255.255.255.0. Then make the other PC 192.168.0.2 with mask 255.255.255.0

    I've always found 98SE to load all required software and protocols OK for
    networking, but I have had to manually go to Add New Hardware and even
    manually select the network card... after that all worked fine. Remember
    with 98 to reboot after changing IP details, etc (it should prompt you).

    Did any of that make sense??? What you are trying is very possible as I
    have had the same config running in the past with 2 x 98SE machines. The
    TCP/IP settings for the internet and LAN are seperate - and there should be
    the two TCP/IP settings visible in the network settings...

    Cheers

    Martin, Sep 17, 2004
  11. jmm

    Martin Guest

    99% of home type LAN's use the same IP address anyway!!!

    Martin, Sep 17, 2004
  12. jmm

    Madhur Ahuja Guest

    *Technically*, this statement has got no meaning. What do you mean by
    /he take the TCP/IP drivers/. I have said again, that please exactly
    paste here the contents of *ipconfig /all*.
    I have the same configuration as yours and its working for years without. Do
    not use the term subnet. subnet exists in the same networks while your modem
    and the LAN network are completely different networks.

    Madhur Ahuja, Sep 17, 2004
  13. jmm

    Madhur Ahuja Guest

    This is completely incorrect. They are completely different networks and
    no one from outside will able to peek into your LAN network. Be sure, not
    to enable services like File sharing on the modem network.

    Madhur Ahuja, Sep 17, 2004
  14. jmm

    Madhur Ahuja Guest

    Sure, I am a computer Engineer and have studied networking.
    This is where you are mistaken. When you send a packet from your lan network
    to the internet. The source of the packet will not contain your LAN IP like
    192.168.0.1 but instead the IP which is used by the computer for connecting
    the Internet. This technique is performed by the Network Address
    Translation(NAT).
    This is not a technique to hide the local network address , but NAT is there
    since
    this is the only way to access Internet from the local LAN.

    This is because if the packet will contain source address as
    192.168.0.1(which is a class
    C address), upon reaching to the Internet, the internet will try to send the
    destination
    packet to 192.168.0.1, however the address 192.168.0.1 is only local to your
    LAN and not to
    the Internet(since it doesnt uses class C addresses). Thus the packet wont
    reach its destination
    and you will not be able to connect to the internet.
    Read a few sites on NAT, or post here if you need more information.

    Madhur Ahuja, Sep 21, 2004
  15. jmm

    jmm Guest

    It's what I means too! The internet see the IP address from the computer
    connecting to Internet and not from the IP LAN, because this address
    was translate thru NAT. What I had defined by the word "hide" :)
    right, but If you enable IP routing in your last gateway connecting to
    the Internet and disable NAT. Then your internal LAN address will be
    known (propagated) by the Internet and it will be confused with the
    others same IP address (official one)! Do you understand what I means?
    It's why I spoke to use NAT...

    I think that we speak the same thing... :)

    My question is how to use NAT with W98SE an how to use (active) it
    between the two IP address (modem + ethernet)? Is NAT still active in
    W98SE? I feel myself better with unix/linux it's why I put these
    questions about W98SE!

    jmm, Sep 22, 2004
  16. jmm

    Madhur Ahuja Guest

    Win98SE has built in Internet Connection Sharing(ICS) which you can use
    for sharing the Internet. You can install it from Add Remove Programs.
    However ICS provides very basic functionality. You can also use third party
    windows rograms :
    www.wingate.com
    www.winproxy.com

    Madhur Ahuja, Sep 22, 2004