    another drive. There was no need to install software to upload pics.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for an under $300.00 replaement
    with that same feature?

    nuorigin, Nov 23, 2005

  2. nuorigin

    imbsysop Guest

    If you have a camera with USB support and an operating system that
    uses auto usb detection you can use any post-processing software that
    you fancy. No need to install any cam soft whatsoever .. (well sure I
    didn't for my Sony H1 :))

    imbsysop, Nov 23, 2005

  3. nuorigin

    Nick Hopton Guest

    I'd second that, for XP users anyway. I've done away with the (horrible)
    Olympus Master software that came with my new camera and now download
    directly from the camera, via USB, or from the card, via a reader, using
    Picasa2 (free, excellent).

    Regards,
    Nick.

    Nick Hopton, Nov 23, 2005
  4. nuorigin

    Jim Guest

    Just install a card reader. WindowsXP has a card reader driver ready to go.
    All you do is put the card into the reader and transfer the images with
    Explorer.
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 23, 2005
  5. nuorigin

    Skip M Guest

    But a card reader for between $10 and $20 and you'll never have that
    problem, again, with any camera.

    Skip M, Nov 23, 2005
  6. nuorigin

    Dave Cohen Guest

    When posting a question of this type it's important to identify the os. As
    noted by others, with winxp no extra drivers are required regardless of
    whether the camara is recognized as a drive letter or not (as in the case of
    canon). For win98 both card reader and camera would require a driver.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 23, 2005
  7. nuorigin

    Paul Allen Guest

    The manufacturers and the reviewers all make it quite hard to tell if
    a camera implements usb-storage or something proprietary. When I
    bought my Oly C-700 I just took the claims of "auto-connect with no
    drivers to load" on faith. These days, new computers all come with
    card readers and you can add one for less than $20. It doesn't matter
    what the camera implements, or even if it has a USB jack.

    Get a camera that makes you happy and don't worry about it.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Nov 23, 2005
  8. nuorigin

    nuorigin Guest

    First, thanks for the help. My Olympus would plug into any computer and
    look like a new drive added to the computer just like a jump drive. It
    made it easy to use on any computer without having to install anything
    or carry or purchase a reader. I need to order one for work and we have
    multiple users (camera nad computers). I didn't want to go through the
    trouble of having IT install any software, and need the flexibility of
    being able to xfer pics to different computers. We can't install
    software due to the setup on our computers.

    nuorigin, Nov 23, 2005
  9. nuorigin

    nuorigin Guest

    Forgot to mention, we are using XP.

    nuorigin, Nov 23, 2005
  10. nuorigin

    Bill Funk Guest

    I think Jim (the OP) wants a camera replacement, not a way to read
    pics from the D40 he used to have.

    DPreview.com is an excellent source of specs for cameras.

    Bill Funk, Nov 23, 2005
  11. Have you just tried plugging it in?

    Most card readers don't need special software, they will often work like
    a jump drive. Plug and go.

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 23, 2005
  12. nuorigin

    Skip M Guest

    Good point, but Win98? I didn't think it needed a driver for a card reader,
    either. It's been so long...

    Skip M, Nov 23, 2005
  13. nuorigin

    grumpy Guest

    You do realise that for under $20, you can buy a multi format card reader that will plug into any
    modern computer. With this, you can use any digital camera sold today.

    grumpy, Nov 23, 2005
  14. nuorigin

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Only in winxp and possibly winme and win2000 (not sure about latter) can you
    just plug in. Certainly on win98se you need a driver. As far as jump drive
    or flash drive, I used the supplied cd with a Sandisk Cruzer, no problem
    installing the software but when I plugged in the Cruzer, got some sort of
    error message. After that plugging in the Cruzer causes light to flash, but
    no drive. Is fine in xp. With win98se and usb 1.1, most but not all things
    work. Fortunately there was no problem when I used that machine with my A40.
    since that machine is now wife's, not pursuing problem. 1.1 card reader
    wasn't a problem either.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 23, 2005
  15. nuorigin

    salgud Guest

    If the camera has not USB jack, how do you connect it to the computer's
    USB jack?

    salgud, Nov 23, 2005
  16. nuorigin

    Skip M Guest

    'Cause, if you use a card reader, whether built in or external, you don't
    need a USB connection from your camera to the computer.

    Skip M, Nov 23, 2005
  17. nuorigin

    Bill Funk Guest

    The card reader wouldn't, but if you want the card to show up...
    :)

    Bill Funk, Nov 24, 2005
  18. nuorigin

    Bill Funk Guest

    Call up China, and find out what parts you need to install a USP port,
    as well as the schematics and plans. Don't forget a price list, while
    you're at it. ;-)

    Bill Funk, Nov 24, 2005
  19. nuorigin

    Skip M Guest

    (
    snicker)

    Skip M, Nov 24, 2005
  20. nuorigin

    Paul Allen Guest

    I guess English is not your first language? That's OK. The answer to
    your question is that you don't connect the camera to the computer.
    You plug the camera's memory card into a card reader that's connnected
    to the computer. Multi-format card readers are available both as
    external USB gizmos that need no software or as internal variously-
    connected devices that may need a driver.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Nov 24, 2005