    etc. Has anyone has similar experience? Is this some kind of trojan
    horse or boot sector virus or somethign else. Any help is deeply
    appreciated. Thank you!!

    kackson, Feb 1, 2004

  2. text cut

    It might help knowing which Operating System you are running. Have you run a
    virus checker and programs such as AdAware or Spybot? If running XP have you
    tried a system restore to a time before your dear cousins have worked their
    brand of computer "tweaking"? As far as the NY Times is concerned, it sounds
    as if they have deleted your cookies and the Times does not recognize you as
    a registered user. Have you tried to either relog on or reregistering? Also
    be aware that the Times is having some problems as of late and those
    unauthorized errors are being looked at by their webmaster (or so the error
    message states).

    Regards,
    John O.

    John and Pat Ochenduszko, Feb 1, 2004

  3. kackson

    Penna Elabi Guest

    Try CWShredder to remove the possible CoolWebSearch browser hijacker:

    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html#cwshredder

    Then try to use other spyware/adware removers. Some popular
    spyware/adware removers are for example Ad-aware, Spybot
    Search&Destroy, Spy Sweeper, and PestPatrol. You should update the
    programs before you use them:

    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://www.spysweeper.com/
    http://www.pestpatrol.com/
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Security/Internet/Products_and_Tools/Security_Scanners/

    To prevent new spyware to be installed to your computer, update your
    Windows frequently to remove the latest security holes so there's a
    smaller probability to get new spyware to your computer:

    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Then you could install SpywareBlaster, which prevents some of the
    common spyware software from being installed:

    Other tips:

    Use an up-to-date virus scanner and a firewall, and don't go to
    suspicious web pages.

    Penna Elabi, Feb 1, 2004