HELP! My computer blew up (well, sorta)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Uplink, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    This will be a long message: (Scroll to bottom for footnotes)

    I have an old computer with DOS 6 and Windows 3.11 installed on it, I
    can't find much about it but it says "System 1800", it has the
    originally motherboard and power supply.

    I bought a Lite-On CD-ROM (CD-48) ATAPI/E-IDE interface, it was made
    in 1999. I opened by computer and began to study it's connections.

    I had a cord with the CD that had a Slave, Master, and Primary IDE port
    connectors. I looked to what the HD was connected to, it was connected
    to a card in one of the slots on the motherboard. There were two IDE
    ports on there, one had a slave and master than the slave was on the 5
    1/3 floppy and the master was on the 3 1/2 floppy. The second IDE was
    connected just directly to the HD.

    I unplugged the IDE from the HD and card, then put a cord in with a
    slave, master and ide port. I connected the master to the HD and then
    connected the CD-ROM to the slave.

    I plugged the power in to the HD and CD-ROM and then I thought I
    unplugged the sound from somewhere, but it was the power to the reset
    button and lights (busy, running, resetting).

    Then When I had every thing plugged in to the floppy and stuff (I took
    the power supply out, to make it easier)

    Then I plugged in the power supply to the motherboard,

    THIS IS THE MAJOR PROBLEM THAT HAPPENED HERE:

    There are two connectors to get to the motherboard, one with wires that
    are coded:

    blue, orange, yellow, red, and black

    and another that was coded:

    red, white, and black

    I connected them like this, black, white, and red connected on the left
    if the computer was facing you, and the, blue, orange, (you know), to
    the right.

    I plugged in the keyboard and monitor (just the basics) plugged them in
    and

    turned the power on:

    HUMMMMMMMMMM... ZIECHT peetch!!!!! foof and a little fire and major
    sparking happened on a certain node that sent up black smoke

    I turned the power of and turned the surge protector off then unplugged
    everything and blew on the node to insure it was out.

    The node is busted I THINK.

    Did I put the wires backwards? I took it apart and put it back to the
    last normal working state connections.

    (Removed the Cd-ROM and put in normal wires)

    I have the system reading to go on.

    I changed the way the wires to the motherboard are connected.

    Againt, really sorry that it is a long read

    Also, I'll post the node number and position in a moment

    And, check http://ca.geocities.com/trav1085/pictures/foof/

    for images of my computer and the connectors.

    Uplink, Feb 5, 2006

  2. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    that node is: by the motherboard power input, black node 2 from the
    right, it is:

    +
    1 [node]
    C28

    that's C28 (CMOS 28, c 28?)

    Uplink, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Uplink

    Jim Berwick Guest

    This was your problem. Black should touch black, as in, they should be in
    the middle next to each other, not at opposite ends. You've likely
    destroyed the motherboard, maybe the power supply, possibly any or all of
    the expansion cards in the system, but the good news is you are only out of
    like $10 worth of computer.

    Jim Berwick, Feb 5, 2006
  4. Uplink

    Newfdog Guest

    Everything is likely fried. The blacks go together in the center.

    Newfdog

    Newfdog, Feb 5, 2006
  5. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    Could I test it with a voltometre and see what components are damaged.

    The ones that are damaged could I replace them if I can find parts?

    Uplink, Feb 5, 2006
  6. Uplink

    Newfdog Guest

    Practically impossible I would say. Unless you are extremely lucky
    you've burned out alot of stuff, most of which is not replaceable
    without really specialized equipment.

    Newfdog, Feb 6, 2006
  7. Uplink

    Oldus Fartus Guest