    at the signal origin point.

    Will a plug-in antenna of some type fix this situation? And if so, what type
    would you suggest?

    Anon, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Anon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Anon spewed forth:
    If it's not *YOUR* signal, leave it alone. Using someone else's bandwith
    without permission is stealing.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2005

  3. But having someone else radiate into your space is all lovey-dovey, eh?

    RL

    Raving Loonie, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Anon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Raving Loonie spewed forth:
    XM radio is beaming down all over me. But I've not paid a subscription to
    use it. Using it would be unethical. Does that make it wrong for them to
    broadcast?

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2005
  5. I'm not saying there's no such thing, but I've not seen a laptop yet
    with builtin WiFi that has a place to plug in an external antenna. And
    as Tim pointed out, if you are trying to break into someone else's
    network without permission your eternal soul may be at stake.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 29, 2005
  6. Going by federal law, yes. Would you happen to have a clue how many
    signals are radiated into your space all day every day? Radio stations,
    TV stations, satellites, CB's, hams, garage door openers, emergency
    services, police, on and on and ...

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 29, 2005
  7. Anon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Rôgêr spewed forth:
    Me either. I wonder why? It seems to me that it would be a welcome addition.
    Well, I wouldn't go so far as that <g>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2005
  8. By and large consumers are led to believe that a WiFi network should be
    indoors and not have a range of more than a few feet. I've had a bunch
    of links up and running 24/7 for nearly 3 years now that cover several
    miles, and it's plain jane WiFi - just made to a little better standard.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 29, 2005
  9. Anon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Rôgêr spewed forth:
    I had an advertisment at work that was showing their wifi products with a
    mile or more average. I almost bought it to try it and see if it would get
    us out to the plant. But we have metal siding on the buildings, plus a lot
    of electric motors in all the manufacturing equipment that cause
    interference. I really don't think we'd get there.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2005
  10. Give me a couple or three hours and I'd have you up and running, as long
    as you have line of sight.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 29, 2005
  11. Anon

    FRAUD ALERT Guest

    No, I mean I work in a setting that provides it--legally. But in my office I
    can't get the signal strong enough. Will an antenna fix that?

    FRAUD ALERT, Nov 29, 2005
  12. The problem is there probably is no way to attach an antenna to your
    laptop's built in wireless device. Now if you buy a separate WiFi PCMCIA
    card, you can get them with higher power transmit and better sensitivity
    reception, and you can also find them that you can unplug the little
    plastic antenna and plug in whatever gain antenna you like. You could
    also pick up a cheap USB WiFi adapter instead and make a reflector for
    it that will work over long distances. Such as:
    http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 29, 2005
  13. Anon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Rôgêr spewed forth:
    It would be nice, but since it's only for email to the plant offices, they
    can live with the dial up <g>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2005
  14. Maybe so. If you're not attaching large pr0n files then dialup would do
    for plain text emails. If the situation changes, ping me.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 29, 2005
  15. Anon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Rôgêr spewed forth:
    We're trying to avoid that and keep the plant managers *working* instead
    <g>! Thanks :)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2005