Help me to choose between Router, WAP and ADSL

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by SF, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. SF

    SF Guest

    Hi,

    At home I have 3 PC's and 1 laptop from the office, all run XP Pro.
    Currently I have a 4port 10/100 switch that connects 3 PCs and 1 printer. I
    plan to setup a wireless network to extende the link these 3 PCs and the
    laptop.

    I browse the internet and found that they have Router
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=6, Wireless Access Point
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=292 and ADSL Router/Modem such as
    D-LINK DSL-G604T that combined wireless router and modem. Now I was not sute
    what product should I use here. I thought that ADSL would fit to my
    situation as I mat want to use the internet in the future but it is slower
    (54mbps) than other product.

    Somehow, I would appreciate advice from this group.

    TIA

    SF

    SF, Nov 15, 2006

  2. SF

    Frankster Guest

    If you already have a wired infrastructure and want to maintain it, and
    simply add wireless capability, you need an Access Point, not a router.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Nov 15, 2006

  3. Hi
    In my book buying a Combo Modem/Router is a No No.
    1. The Router part of the Combos is usually very mediocre unit (I.e. bellow
    the state of the Art).
    2. If either part (modem or Router) brakes the whole thing has to go.
    3. Modem technology is much slower to change than Routers. Routers,
    especially with Wireless, changed already two or three times, and would
    change next year again, while the Modem stays the same.
    However, on the positive side you save “Big” ;) on one plastic Box (instead
    of having two plastic boxes).
    What to do?
    Get a Good Wireless Cable/DSL Router, if the current combo can be configured
    as a Modem only, do so, and use the Router as a Wireless Router.
    Wireless Hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 15, 2006