    but computer has been running for about 30 minutes it slows down to a snail'
    s pace and requires a reboot to get up to speed.

    Your help will be most appreciated.

    Harry Dhami, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Harry Dhami

    Jay Guest

    Have you checked for spyware? Look at www.spywareguide.com and then the
    free online scan. I find stuff all the time. Kids. Worth the time.

    Jay, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Harry Dhami

    °Mike° Guest

    Basic computer maintenance

    Anti-spyware:
    ---------------------
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    --------------------------
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]

    ** Caveat:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    Control your startups:
    ----------------------
    StartupList
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    ASpy
    http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php

    Services Guide for Windows XP
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    Windows XP Service Configurations
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

    Windows XP Strange Service Information
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

    °Mike°, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Harry Dhami

    Harrison Guest

    Disable Windows Messenger Service:
    This IS NOT the same as MSN Messenger and it will not affect your
    ability to chat with friends.
    ____________________
    Click Start > Run and type "services.msc" (no quotes) click OK

    In the right pane, scroll down to Messenger.

    Double click Messenger and click the General tab.

    Under Service Status: click the Stop button.

    In the Startup Type: drop down box, select Disable.

    Click Apply and OK.
    ____________________

    Download, install, update, and run the following programs:
    Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/
    Spyware Blaster - http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

    The first two find and root out spyware, adware, hijackers, and
    dialers.
    The second one will protect your system from further infection by such
    diseases.
    ____________________
    Install the Google Toolbar to block browser pop-ups:
    http://toolbar.google.com/

    Harrison, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Harry Dhami

    HamMan Guest

    Start > Run "sfc /scannow" (withour quotes) it will scan your system fils
    for errors. Keep your WinXP CD nearby

    HamMan, Dec 7, 2003
  6. Harry Dhami

    M Mullen Guest

    |> I am running a windows XP home edition on a Pentium 4, 2.66GHZ, with 256MB
    |> of RAM and a 512 broadband connection to the net. The problem is that when
    |> but computer has been running for about 30 minutes it slows down to a snail'
    |> s pace and requires a reboot to get up to speed.

    run taskmgr view the process click on CPU speed till the biggest hog is on top,
    usually System Idle Process (not a problem). When you start slowing down the
    process on top is your problem.

    M Mullen, Dec 7, 2003