    Samsung s630. Please advise. :)

    Regards,

    Anand

    anand.basu, Oct 10, 2008

  2. What are your needs - what are you wanting to photograph, and where.
    Distant subjects (wild animals) or close ones? Still subjects or moving
    ones? Backpacking or around town? Near water?

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 10, 2008

  3. For a technical side-by-side comparison please see
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...,nikon_cpl12,canon_a470,samsung_s630&show=all
    and also the reviews on that site.

    Don't forget to actually handle the camera before you buy it. Take fake
    photos, try changing the settings, walk through the menus: are the
    buttons within easy reach for _your_ fingers, can _you_ read the menues,
    do they make sense to _you_, can _you_ hold the camera comfortably, is
    the shutter sensitive what _you_ expect, ....
    A camera that doesn't feel right in your hands is a camera not being
    used!

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Oct 10, 2008
  4. anand.basu

    ray Guest

    It would be quite easy for me - canon does not support Linux, so I do not
    support canon. But I suppose good advice for you would be to actually
    handle the various models in which you are interested. See how they fit
    your hands - see if you can make sense of their menu system.

    ray, Oct 10, 2008
  5. anand.basu

    ASAAR Guest

    I'm not familiar with Samsung's cameras but the others are all
    very basic (limited). Only the L12 has VR (optical vibration
    reduction, aka image stabilization). I'm also not familiar with the
    A470, but Canon's better A-series cameras (A5xx and A6xx) have
    extremely good battery life. You'd be hard pressed to find cameras
    with better battery life short of going to DSLRs. These (L10, L12
    and A470) don't have Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority or true
    Manual modes. Canon's A570 IS, A590 IS, A650 IS (etc.) and Nikon's
    P60 have these modes as well as IS/VR. They're slightly larger than
    the L10 & L12 but perform much better. I've heard that Samsung
    cameras have worse noise characteristics than other comparable
    cameras, but I don't know if that's also true for the S630 or not.

    ASAAR, Oct 10, 2008
  6. anand.basu

    ASAAR Guest

    Judging by the cameras listed, snapshots of family & friends.
    Additionally, the "first point and shoot camera" suggests that it is
    the first digital camera as well, ie, the OP doesn't also use a
    DSLR. If that's the case, we can probably rule out wild animals
    unless they also happen to be members of the family. :)

    ASAAR, Oct 10, 2008
  7. anand.basu

    Pete D Guest

    Why would they need to? If you simply use a card reader that is supported by
    your operating system you don't have to be close minded hey Ray.
    Now that is actually fair advice.

    Actually the the Canon A series cameras are all in all pretty well rounded,
    nicely priced cameras and they produce a pretty reasonable result.

    Cheers.

    pete

    Pete D, Oct 11, 2008
  8. anand.basu

    ray Guest

    This is a matter of principle. I realize I could probably plug a canon
    camera in and read the pictures. The same is NOT true, for example, for
    canon printers - most of which make good boat anchors as far as Linux is
    concerned. Until they start providing Linux support across the line, I
    shall boycott them.
    I would venture to say that all major manufacturers offerings are "pretty
    well rounded, nicely priced cameras and they produce a pretty reasonable
    result". Major, significant differences are minimal. What matters most,
    IMHO, is if you can comfortably use it.

    ray, Oct 11, 2008