Help Me! Cannot Find Server, But Can Surf The Web!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by james.plato, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. james.plato

    james.plato Guest

    Hi All,

    Really need some help here.

    I just got an HP a1130n, preinstalled with windows xp sp2. I can surf
    the web fine as you can see and receive emails. I can also get acces to
    AVG to get virus defintions and download stuff (etc). I am using zone
    alram, but I have disabled the windows firewall. Here's the issue:

    I cannot access my ftp
    I cannot watch streaming media (media player 10 or real player)
    When I ping I get a time out.

    Help me. I am at a loss. The computer is working fine, I am connected
    to the internet, but I have no clue what to do next. The ISP says call
    Microsoft, Microsoft tells me to call my ISP! I am stuck in hell.

    One thing, I have even disabled all firewalls and tried to get access
    to the net, but it did not work.

    I have spent 6 hours so far trying to solve this. Please let me know
    your thoughts

    James

    james.plato, Dec 30, 2005

  2. james.plato

    Evan Platt Guest

    What's the error?
    What's the error?
    When you ping where? Not being able to ping doesn't indicate a problem
    - pinging can be blocked. Some isp's apparently don't allow pings out.
    You DO have access to the net. You don't have access to ftp.

    What ftp program are you using? What error do you get?

    Evan Platt, Dec 30, 2005