Help ,Im Trying to install Win3.1 on a 72yr old mans computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chill Factor, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Chill Factor

    Chill Factor Guest

    Hi,

    If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

    PLEASE ! ONLY SERIOUS RESPONSES ONLY.

    I have a dear friend who has this OLD IBM model 70, 386 Personal Computer,
    does not have the money or desire for a new computer, just wants his working again.
    Some young kids wiped it out completely for him, and now the computer wont boot up
    to anything. I dont know the first thing about Windows 3.1.
    I think I have the seven install floppys for it but i dont know any of the keys or commands
    to install from floppy. I can get it to a screen where it has several options at the bottom
    but cannot get it to an A:> prompt to get it to read from the floppy. Almost as if its in
    another program or something.

    Thanks In Advance

    CF

    Chill Factor, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Chill Factor

    Irony Alert Guest

    Try booting to an MSDOS diskette. If kids wiped the computer, then it
    doesn't have any OS to boot. If that doesn't work, then you may need to
    replace the diskette drive. A new 1.44MB drive goes for about $20 from a
    department store that carries computer peripherals.

    There are no keys for Windows 3.1 (at least not on the copies I have) and
    once you obtain an A:> prompt you insert diskette number 1 and type "SETUP"
    (without the quotes) and strike the ENTER key. From that point on you just
    follow the prompts on the screen.

    --

    The Usenet Irony Alert
    Serving alt.fan.art-bell since 2003

    Felony case "02-CR-0617 9/1/03: Oregon Department of
    Justice V. Raymond Ronald Karczewski, Defendant.

    "The defendant's name is NOT copyrighted."

    Irony Alert, Jan 9, 2004

  3. Chill Factor

    SLP Guest

    Have a look through his disks and see if there's a boot-up or MS-DOS disk.

    If you put that in the machine and switch on, it should bring you to the A:
    prompt, from where you can then insert and run the Win 3.1 disks.

    Also, have you checked in the BIOS to see if the floppy is enabled set as
    the first boot device?

    And what are the commands you mentioned on the bottom of the screen?

    Another option is to ask around locally because a lot of people throw out
    machines that are far newer than this and would be happy for you to take it
    off their hands for free.

    SLP

    SLP, Jan 9, 2004
  4. Chill Factor

    Trax Guest

    |>Hi,
    |>
    |>If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.
    |>
    |>PLEASE ! ONLY SERIOUS RESPONSES ONLY.
    |>
    |>I have a dear friend who has this OLD IBM model 70, 386 Personal Computer,
    |>does not have the money or desire for a new computer, just wants his working again.
    |>Some young kids wiped it out completely for him, and now the computer wont boot up
    |>to anything. I dont know the first thing about Windows 3.1.
    |>I think I have the seven install floppys for it but i dont know any of the keys or commands
    |>to install from floppy. I can get it to a screen where it has several options at the bottom
    |>but cannot get it to an A:> prompt to get it to read from the floppy. Almost as if its in
    |>another program or something.

    Besides what Irony Alert mentioned

    WIn3.1 is a dos program started from the autoexec.bat file (win.com).
    Not sure what your seeing:
    |>I can get it to a screen where it has several options at the bottom) -
    it sounds like a dos shell. - hit CTRL-C to get out of it or look for an exit
    command. you should be at C:> use deltree to remove the Windows folder, cd to a:
    (just type A:) you should be at A:> run setup.

    and good luck.

    Trax, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Chill Factor

    philo Guest

    If the drive was totally formatted...you will first have to install dos.
    msdos 6.22 comes on three disks...you just put in the first one
    and turn the machine on...it will just take you through the installtion.

    after dos is up and running

    you put in the first win3.1 disk

    then log on to the A: drive by typing and entering A:

    now, with the first win3.1 disk in the drive ...just type and enter setup
    and it will take you through the installtion.

    if you do not have the dos disks or the win3.1 disks...you are out of luck

    although they may turn up on ebay for just a few dollars.

    feel free to email me if you need additional help

    philo(at)plazaearth(dot)com (my address has of course been munged to avoid
    the spambots)

    philo, Jan 10, 2004