    to 120gb. i believe that there is now multiple copies of windows on them but
    i do a full format. Is there any other way of wiping the hardrives back to
    original capacity....Thanks all

    lee, Aug 31, 2005

  2. lee

    George Guest

    I will assume you are using Windows XP. Firstly, you need the original
    Windows CD. Put this disc as the computer starts, so that you boot from
    it. You may need to set your computer to do this from the BIOS. You will
    be asked whether you want to repair XP, or install a new copy. Choose to
    install a new copy. It will then ask you which partition you want to
    install it on. Delete all partitions, which will leave you with free
    space only. Choose to install on the free space, and you will be asked
    to create and format the partition. I'm sure you can take it from
    there.

    The above will also work for Windows 2000. For Windows 98 etc, you are
    looking at using the FDisk and Format commands.

    Any more questions, just ask. Remember - Google is your friend!

    George

    George, Aug 31, 2005

  3. lee

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Bet you're right: he's creating a new partition every install.

    Rick Merrill, Aug 31, 2005
  4. lee

    EricP Guest

    TF someone came up with a decent explanation, it had me worried. :)

    EricP, Aug 31, 2005
  5. lee

    SgtMinor Guest

    The simplest way to get a clean hard drive is to buy a new one.

    Reformatting a hard drive to solve some minor computer problem is
    overkill. It's like putting all your furniture in your yard so you can
    clean your house.

    Find out first of all how you get so many viruses and put an end to it.
    Many people *never* get computer virus infections. Get a decent
    firewall and some good antivirus software. And don't open spam or email
    from unknown senders. If you do get infected, simply remove or
    quarantine the virus.

    As to the lost hard drive space (hard drives = storage, not memory) take
    a look at the drive with Disk Investigator, freeware:
    http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html

    SgtMinor, Aug 31, 2005