Help. Here's a really silly question about printing but I am confused

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Brian, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Hi there,

    I have a Nikon 4300 camera and am taking pictures at 2272 x 1704 size
    at 'fine' resolution.

    Now, when I print these A4 size on my Epson Photo 950 the are
    excellent quality.

    However if I print them say 7x5 or 6x4 the image quality is very
    grainy - in fact its just terrible.

    I can understand the quality getting worse the larger the print but
    why is it getting worse the smaller I print it.

    I am changing the image size in Photoshop to 7x5 or 6x4 etc and
    keeping it as 300dpi.

    What am I doing wrong - its driving me crazy and my wife's fed up
    having to cart around A4 prints!!!

    Thanks
    Brian

    Brian, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Brian

    misifus Guest

    If I were doing it, I would would resize *without* resampling.
    In other words, keep all your pixels, just resize the image
    (unclick the 'resample' checkmark in the Image Size window).
    Your resolution will go up, but the prints won't be bad.

    -Raf

    misifus, Apr 1, 2004

  3. I dont know the resolutions available on the printer.. but try just
    printing the photos by just selecting the printer paper size and
    re-scale to fit in the printer dialogue...

    If that fails, re-size using Image>Image re-size>re-sample image using
    Bilinear, then add a little un-sharp mask...

    I personally dont print using any aplication except Qimage from
    ddisoftware.

    Jonathan Wilson, Apr 2, 2004
  4. Brian

    mark_digital Guest

    "Brian" -
    "I can understand the quality getting worse the larger the print but
    why is it getting worse the smaller I print it.

    I am changing the image size in Photoshop to 7x5 or 6x4 etc and
    keeping it as 300dpi.

    What am I doing wrong - its driving me crazy and my wife's fed up
    having to cart around A4 prints!!!"
    --------
    Contrary to what you think is the correct proceedure, allow the
    dpi or ppi to increase as the size of the print decreases. When the
    file information is fed to your Epson the ppi or dpi is managed just
    once.
    Cropping tool option for resolution should be left blank. Never
    interpolate the full image to a set amount and then crop.

    mark_

    mark_digital, Apr 2, 2004