Help Forwarding NetBIOS with Cisco IOS

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Gil DuPont, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Gil DuPont

    Gil DuPont Guest

    I have a Cisco 2611XM running ISO 12.3.(1a). I have spent countless
    hours on cisco.com and Google trying to find the answer to the below
    question.

    How do I configure IOS to forward the information needed for "My
    Network Places / Network Neighborhood" from one interface to the other
    in a peer to peer network (e.g... no PDC, no domain, only workgroup)?

    interface FastEthernet0/0
    ip address 172.16.2.1 255.255.255.0
    ip nat inside
    speed 100
    full-duplex
    ipx network CFCFCF00 encapsulation SAP

    interface FastEthernet0/1
    ip address 10.0.0.10 255.0.0.0
    ip nat outside
    speed 100
    full-duplex
    ipx network 59F7C5B0 encapsulation SAP

    I need the clients (Win2k/XP) on the 172.16.2.0/24 subnet that do not
    have Novell Client Installed, to be able to browse the computers on
    the 10.0.0.0/8 subnet using "My Network Places / Network
    Neighborhood".

    Clients on the 172.16.2.0/24 subnet can use "net view \\<computer
    name>" and can map network drives using "net use" to clients on the
    10.0.0.0/8 subnet, however they are unable to browse using "My Network
    Places / Network Neighborhood". Clients with Novell Client work fine
    using IPX.

    Any insight you all may provide will be extremely helpful. Thank you
    in advance.

    Gil DuPont, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Gil DuPont

    Hansang Bae Guest

    [snip]

    See; http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/winnt_dg.htm

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Gil DuPont

    mickael Guest

    On 22 Jul 2003 19:03:54 -0700
    Because if you have succes with "net view \\<computer name>" you have no probem of netbios name resolution so it's a problem of master browser and the list of computers it's maintain by this master browser.

    micke

    mickael, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Gil DuPont

    Gil DuPont Guest

    Thanks for the link, I will review and see if it helps.

    Gil DuPont, Jul 23, 2003
  5. Gil DuPont

    Gil DuPont Guest

    Yes, when I do net view \\<computer name> it works. There is a WINS
    server in the network. I think net vew, and net use both use wins if
    it is configured, but network browsing does not. I just do not
    understand all the componets involved for the browse to function.

    Gil DuPont, Jul 23, 2003
  6. Gil DuPont

    CybrSage Guest

    You are correct, a Master Browser is needed to use the Network Neighborhood,
    but for the Net Use command, WINS or lmhost files (or broadcasting onto
    local subnet) are needed.

    Because you are on a peer to peer network, I am not sure there is a way to
    do this. Normally, the PDC would have the needed info, and the WINS server
    would tell the PC where the PDC is located. The PDC would give the PC the
    browse list (subject to a 15 minute refresh interval). Without a PDC (whish
    is always the master browser) an election is called and one PC is given the
    Master Browser title. Unfortunately, that PC is contacted via broadcasts
    only, which routers block by default.

    You can try opening the NetBIOS broadcast ports, and letting all that
    traffic through.

    Good luck!

    Mike

    CybrSage, Jul 24, 2003
  7. Gil DuPont

    Gil DuPont Guest

    How would one go about opening the NetBIOS broadcast ports, and
    letting all traffic through on the above IOS ver?

    Thanks Gil

    Gil DuPont, Jul 25, 2003
  8. Not that simple.

    Browsing is a whole set of protocols seperate from the "net use" mounting
    protocols. The browsing protocols have evolved over time, and are very
    weird and quirky, so if you have mixed versions of machines on a wire, odd
    things may happen.

    Browsing can either be local or WINS based. If there is a local browser,
    that trumps the WINS browser.

    WIMS based machines will use domain style browsing, which uses WINS.
    non-WINS machines broadcast. If there is a non-WINS machine which becomes
    the master browser, all of the WIMS based services across a router are not
    brwseable.

    So

    - ALL machines on a segment must use WINS

    or

    - non-WINS machines must be set NOT to ever become a master browser.

    Also, make sure some devices are not set to NETBEUI or IPX only. That can
    wreak havoc on IP based browsing.

    If you insist on flooding broadcasts, look ay "ip forward-protocol
    spanning-tree" and set bridging on all interfaces. You can block the actual
    bridged packets, the spanning tree just forms the path for IP layer 3
    broadcast forwarding. "ip forward-protocol" will be where you set what
    broadcastss to be bridged.

    Phillip Remaker, Jul 23, 2004