Help for Thunderbird newbie... thanks!

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Rowland Croucher, Apr 3, 2007.

  1. I've been persuaded by some well-meaning and informed friends that
    Mozilla Thunderbird is a better proposition for emails/posts than
    Outlook Express... (especially after my OE exploded and I lost half my
    folders)

    And generally I like it, but I'm stuck in several places:

    * In the Account settings, I've registered a BCC address for all mail,
    but when I go back the email address I provided isn't there (there's no
    'Apply' button)
    * I'd like the print in emails and Usenet posts to be larger, but can't
    see where to do a global enlarge (rather than ctrl+ manually on each page)
    * I've tried to register a sig which will automatically attach to each
    email/post, but it doesn't work either
    * In Usenet when I mark posts as 'read' the same posts in other
    newsgroups to which it is cross-posted don't also register 'read' so
    I've got to do it manually...

    That'll do for a start.

    Thanks my friends

    Rowland Croucher \
    http://jmm.aaa.net.au/ (19,300 articles, 4000 humor)

    Rowland Croucher, Apr 3, 2007

  2. Where in Tools>>Account Settings do you register a BCC address? I'm not
    familiar with that function.

    To enlarge fonts:

    Tools>>Options>>Display
    '
    Click the Fonts button and set a higher minimum font size.

    For a signature:

    Tools>>Account Settings>>(account)

    Check the box for attach this signature, then browse to the location of
    your signature text file.

    TB cannot mark cross posts as read.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 3, 2007

  3. under Copies & Folders. "When sending messages, automatically BCC
    these email addresses:"

    Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo, Apr 3, 2007
  4. Thanks Lee

    Typed it into MS Word, saved on my desktop as .doc and also as .txt and
    got the same interesting result (below)

    Any further suggestions?

    Rowland Croucher, Apr 4, 2007
  5. Did that three times - two for email accounts, once for news account;
    typed in my @gmail.com address, closed the box and when I reopened them
    they weren't there...

    C'mon friends, what am I not doing?

    Rowland Croucher, Apr 4, 2007
  6. Rowland Croucher

    dino Guest

    Try it using a plain text editor like Notepad

    dino, Apr 4, 2007
  7. If you create it in doc then thats what you get -- strange
    characters. You MUST save it as a plain text file. No formating
    whatsover. Use windows WordPad or NotePad or something similar. OR,
    you can creating it using HTML.

    Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo, Apr 4, 2007
  8. Rowland Croucher

    Miller Guest

    *Rowland Croucher* wrote on 04.04.07 11:08:
    Have you checked if your Thunderbird-profile could be read-only
    for some reason? Or maybe the prefs.js or so?

    cu, Miller

    Miller, Apr 4, 2007
  9. Rowland Croucher

    Lukan Guest

    Typed it into MS Word, saved on my desktop as .doc and also as .txt
    BINGO

    Lukan, Apr 5, 2007
  10. Now... got it somehow for newsgroups, but after 8-10 attempts couldn't
    attach it to emails (what did I do?)

    Rowland Croucher, Apr 6, 2007
  11. Rowland Croucher

    Doug G Guest

    Changes aren't saved when the "X" button is used to close the Account
    Settings box. The "OK" button must be used.

    Doug G, Apr 9, 2007