    There are no cheap foolproof systems, so I tend to make a lot of copies of
    things and put them in many places.

    Bob

    bob, Sep 18, 2004

  2. If it fails completely, yes. But if a few files disappear, due to bad
    blocks, operating system bugs or user error, no alarm bells ring.
    I have known companies lose important files and only discover it after
    all tape sets had been rotated. It's extraordinary how few people have
    ever heard of (or worked out for themselves) the need for archive
    backups - i.e. backups which are never re-used.
    Well, that combination doesn't sound too bad.

    Stephen Poley, Sep 18, 2004

  3. JeffS

    bob Guest

    In 15 years, I've only lost maybe one or two files on hard drives to bad
    blocks, but I've lost at least a dozen drives.

    I guess I'm willing to risk the loss of a single file, but not an entire
    drive.

    Bob

    bob, Sep 19, 2004