Help, DVD-ROM drive in wife's notebook computer no longer reads discs

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PRW, Oct 14, 2007.

  1. PRW

    PRW Guest

    Hi, my wife has a Dell Inspiron 2200 PP-10S notebook computer, refurb,
    purchased three years ago, equipped with a TEAC DV-28E-C DVD-ROM
    drive. Not a burner, just an optical drive, she didn't want a burner,
    just something that would play CDs or DVDs or that she could use to
    get data off discs.

    However, the drive has stopped reading discs. Any discs. Doesn't
    matter if they are CDs or DVDs or DVD-Rs or CD-Rs or if they're things
    we or others have burned or things that we purchased. It simply will
    not read any discs of any type.

    The drive is still showing up in "My Computer." However, when you
    insert a disc, you can see the little disc icon come up like it's
    trying to read a disc, and the light on the drive is green. However,
    it will then stop trying to read the disc, the green light on the
    drive will go out and if you click on the drive icon and try to
    manually open the disc, it will either tell you to insert a disc or
    that Windows can't read the disc, it may be formatted wrong, etc.

    I went to Device Manager and checked the drive and it says it's
    working properly, no error messages or anything. I also checked the
    properties directly on the drive icon, again it says the drive is
    working as it should.

    Does anybody have an idea what might be going on here, and what steps
    I might need to take with this? Does it sound like something that's
    easily fixable, something that I need to see a tech about (it's out of
    warranty) or does it sound like the drive is fried?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    PRW, Oct 14, 2007

  2. PRW

    Alfred Guest

    You can try a cleaning disk but chances are you need a new drive.

    Alfred, Oct 14, 2007

  3. PRW

    olfart Guest

    Could be a dirty laser lens....clean with a Q-Tip and alcohol.
    Most likely the drive is dead...time to replace it.

    olfart, Oct 14, 2007