Help: Compact Flash too big for DSC-P72

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Al Cunniff, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. Al Cunniff

    Al Cunniff Guest

    I'm new to the digital camera scene, and apparently have
    already made small blooper in my purchase of a Compact
    Flash upgrade. I bought a Sony DSC-P72 from one vendor
    and a Lexar 128MB CF stick from another vendor.

    After I received the stick I discovered that it is
    too wide to fit into my camera. It is a 12X Speed Lexar
    "high speed series" stick which the seller had advertised
    as "100% compatible with any type of compact flash digital
    camera."

    Obviously I know better than that now. Was the ad
    misleading, and should I try to get the seller to take
    the stick back? Do I need to be concerned about any other
    incompatabilities when I buy another stick?

    No big deal here, because I only paid about $42 and can
    probably resell the stick for that, but just don't want to
    make the same mistake again.

    -Al

    Al Cunniff, Nov 25, 2003

  2. You need a Memory Stick card rather than Compact Flash. When you buy it
    make sure you don't buy Memory Stick Pro (256Mb size and above) as this
    wont work in your P72.

    AH

    Andrew Hardisty, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Al Cunniff

    Mikey Guest

    The problem is that you bought a "Compact Flash" memory card, for a camera
    that takes a "Sony Memory Stick".
    These are different types of cards, different shapes and not compatable.
    You need a 128 meg Memory Stick

    Perhaps you can return it or exchange it for a Memory Stick with the
    original vendor, since you never used it they should be willing to take it
    back even though it was your error and not theirs unless they have a very
    poor return policy.

    Mikey, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Your camera uses "Memory Stick" cards and you purchased a "Compact
    Flash" card (not a "stick"). Since the Sony DSC-P72 is not a "compact
    flash digital camera", it appears that you made the error. And FWIW,
    $42 is way too much for a 128MB CF card - you can easily buy a 256MB
    card for that price.

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Al Cunniff

    MJ Guest

    P72 will take the Pro. I bought the P72 for a friend, and I also
    bought a 256 Pro stick for it, which works. It says so on the box and
    in the marketing material.

    MJ

    MJ, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Al Cunniff

    MJ Guest

    No, the ad wasn't misleading. It clearly states 'any type of compact
    flash digital camera'. Not 'any type of digital camera'. You should
    be able to exchange it though. If not you'll eventually come across
    somebody with a camera that uses it who you can offload it on.

    MJ

    MJ, Nov 25, 2003