Help choosing a router or switch.

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by TomChapman, Nov 3, 2009.

  1. TomChapman

    TomChapman Guest

    I am a software developer and I don't know too much about networking or
    routers/switches. I need to purchase some equipment for a specific
    custom situation. I'm looking for the most inexpensive router or switch
    that meets my needs. I'd prefer Dell or HP if possible.

    Rack mountable.
    I only need 6 ports.
    My data throughput is low. I do not need the fastest available.

    I will connect a total of 6 computers. I have some special needs.

    Special needs:
    One connection will be to a server (call it "server A") that is running
    some custom software that is sending custom data using UDP. The data is
    being sent on a specific network port. For that server connection I need:

    1) To isolate server A so that no other server can send data to that
    server. TCP, UDP, nothing.

    2) Isolate server A so that the only traffic coming from server A is the
    UDP data for the specific UDP network port number. That UDP data will
    only go to one other router/switch port where a second server (call it
    "server B") will be connected. Server B is running a custom program that
    is expecting to receive that custom UDP data. NO OTHER PORT ON THE
    ROUTER/SWITCH SHOULD SEE THE UDP DATA.

    3) I need to translate the IP so that the receiving server (server B)
    sees the UDP data coming from a different IP then what is actually
    occurring. There is a specific reason I need to do this. It is hard to
    explain.

    Can this be done? What is the cheapest solution?

    TomChapman, Nov 3, 2009

  2. I think understanding the design is better than worrying about models
    numbers and if it is rack mountable or not. If you want inexpensive, then
    it is not going to be rack mountable.

    Server "A" needs to be on the LAN side of a Firewall

    The other machines need to be on the WAN side of the firewall. That will
    isolate Server "A" as you described.

    The things they call "routers" in retail stores are not real routers,...they
    don't even "route". They are just cheap low-buck NAT-Firewalls.
    Luckily,..that is probably all you need for this.

    Number of physical ports is not relevant as long as there are enough of
    them.

    See this diagram
    http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss360/pwindell/Drawing5.jpg

    Phillip Windell, Nov 3, 2009