    In my attempt to get rid of it a while ago, I believe I deleted the picture that I'm now using as the desktop background.

    Any ideas how I can get rid of it and get a different picture set as my background? I'm completely stuck.

    Thanks.

    jc1357, Mar 5, 2008

  2. jc1357

    jc1357

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Update

    Actually, I just found the picture that is being used as the background. But even if I delete it, nothing changes. That picture seems to just be locked in as my background and I can't remove it no matter what I've tried so far.

    jc1357, Mar 5, 2008

  3. jc1357

    pbar1000

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Are you able to browse for a picture on your hard drive in display properties? I don't know exactly why the background box is greyed....

    pbar1000, Apr 20, 2008
  4. jc1357

    jc1357

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    No, I can't. The only thing I've been able to do is to find an online picture, right click it and click the set as background setting, which will then change my background. But I can't browse my own hard drive through the display settings, and when I right click a picture on my hard drive and click set as wallpaper, nothing changes.

    jc1357, Apr 20, 2008
  5. jc1357

    pbar1000

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Administrator?

    Are you set up to be the administrator in Windows?

    pbar1000, Apr 20, 2008
  6. jc1357

    jc1357

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    This is on my PC at home. I've never had any problems doning anything else, but I don't know the answer to your question. How can I check that and, if I'm not, how can I get it set up that way?

    jc1357, Apr 20, 2008
  7. jc1357

    pbar1000

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    When you first turn your computer on, is there is a list of users? Are there more than one persons using your computer? If so, one of those persons is known as the administrator. That person controls certain settings changes in windows.

    pbar1000, Apr 20, 2008
  8. jc1357

    jc1357

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    No, I don't believe I've seen that when I turn it on.

    jc1357, Apr 20, 2008
  9. jc1357

    pbar1000

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Here's an idea, go to your Control Panel. Select User Accounts. It is here that you establish administrator rights. It is here that, if it is your computer, you can change who the administrator is. Sorry about the slow replies from me, by the way.
    We are going to a 2nd page on this site.

    Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
    pbar1000, Apr 20, 2008
  10. jc1357

    jc1357

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    I checked that. I am the only user set up and I have administrator rights. This started happening when I set a picture to my wallpaper that I didn't want. I think I then tried to delete that picture from my hard drive without switching my wallpaper to something else first. That's when the troubles started. Since then I've only been able to use the right click - set as background option on a web picture. I can't do that on any of my own pictures. I've also gone to sites where they have pictures with a function to click to set as wallpaper, and that has no effect either. I had never had problems switching wallpaper around until then, so obviously something changed and a switch got set somewhere in the registry that isn't allowing me to do some things any more.

    jc1357, Apr 20, 2008
  11. jc1357

    pbar1000

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Do you own a registry fixer software program?

    pbar1000, Apr 20, 2008
  12. jc1357

    jc1357

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Not that I know of. I regularly use CCleaner, which will clean up bad registry entries, but I don't think that's what you're asking about. It's 2:15 here and I'm going to bed, so if you write something more I will reply tomorrow. Thanks for all your correspondence so far.

    jc1357, Apr 20, 2008
  13. jc1357

    jc1357

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2008
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    I use CCLeaner to scan and fix registry issues at least twice a week, so it's not doing the job. There's probably some kind of registry entry that looks legit to CCleaner but is preventing me from being able to change my background. Any ideas what that errant entry might be?

    jc1357, Apr 21, 2008
  14. jc1357

    mdnchauhan

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    hi,
    You said that you deleted the picture but still it is there on desktop. Did you restart your machine after deleting the picture?. If it is still there then do one thing download any image from internet and save it somewhere like in D:\ drive.
    Now close all the windows that are open and right click on desktop, click on properties. Now click on desktop tab, You will see a brows button there click on that, and go to d:\ drive(where you saved the image) select the image, click on OK button, again click on OK button.
    Now see what is happening. Restart your system once.

    mdnchauhan, Apr 21, 2008
  15. jc1357

    pbar1000

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Your problem could be with a corrupt registry due to the faulty picture you set as a background. Deleting it from your Hdrive should not have affected your desktop display properties. I could send you a registry fixer that is very thorough. If your email in-box will handle 100mb or more, I could then walk you through the process which is very simple. The program does much more than fix registry, but I could tell you how to do what you need, if you can recieve it.

    Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
    pbar1000, Apr 21, 2008