help!!! cant get 2 pc's on a wireless network to share anything!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    hello. i have a desktop and a new laptop hooked up to a wireless network
    using a linksys wireless router. Both pc's are running XP Home. They both
    connect to the network fine and can both access the internet wirelessly, but
    i'm having problems getting these pc's to share files. ive run the network
    wizard, set the shared file folders up to allow sharing and it still isnt
    happening. when i go into network places on my desktop and then click on
    "view workgroup computers, it shows the correct pc names for both pc's, but
    when I click onto the laptop name i get the following message.."\\(pc name)
    is not accessible. you may not have permission to use this network resource.
    The network path was not found".

    Now when i go into network places on my laptop and click on "view workgroup
    pc's" it wont show either of the pc names and I get the error message
    "(workgroup name) is not accessible. you might not have permission to use
    this resource. Contact administrator to find out. The list of servers for
    this workgroup is not currently available".
    By the way, I did correctly set up the workgroup name and the pc names. Im
    obviously missing a step or 4 here. I have no clue at all. im not trying t
    set up some complicated network, just 2 pc's able to share files and a
    printer and internet access. If anyone might be able to point me in the
    right direction I would be extremely grateful. please help!!

    Guest, Apr 6, 2005

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,
    I have exactly the same problem you have. When you figure out a solution,
    or hear of anything, can you let me know??

    Thanks in advance
    Nic

    Guest, Apr 6, 2005

  3. Guest

    JoeT Guest

    Do you have windows firewall enabled on these machines and if so do you have
    an exception defined to allow Microsoft File and Printer sharing? I believe
    the wizard sets up that exception by default but it's a thought.

    JoeT, Apr 6, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I also have the exact same problem. Has anyone gotten this to work for them?

    Guest, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am in the same situation. I thought I was going crazy until I came to this
    site and saw others are going through the same thing.

    Guest, Apr 8, 2005