HELP: Can't access my DVD drives which have Yellow Exclamation icons in Device Mgr.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Arawak, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. Arawak

    Arawak Guest

    I can see my 2 IDE DVD drives at bootup via system bios but in WinXP
    Pro MCE, I am unable to access them. They are identifies correctly in
    Device Mgr but they have a Yellow Exclamation icon in front of them.
    To make matters worse, when I plug in any of my external USB2 DVD
    drives, the same this happens. Following the troubleshooting
    instructions, I have uninstalled them and re-run the Add Harware
    Wizard and the they are in deed found but the error message says it
    cannot start the hardware for each device and that there was a problem
    installing the hardware. I am at my wits end. Even worse, System
    Restore had been turned off, which I can't recall doing myself, so
    there is no chance of rolling back the computer to a date when
    everything worked...(24hrs before). The only major system change was
    replacing my SMC router with the latest Buffalo AirStation Wireless
    Cable SmartRouter. Can a virus/et al cause somthing like this?
    BTW, ASPI check showsup as current.
    Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Arawak

    Arawak, Dec 5, 2005

  2. Arawak

    Ron Martell Guest

    See the article by the late Alex Nichol MVP re CD Burning in XP at
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm and go to the section on Problems.

    Try using the CDGONE registry patch linked from the article and if
    that doesn't work then try the DMA settings change also described in
    the article.

    NOTE:
    You probably should fix up your System Restore first. Make certain
    that it is working by running a simple test:
    1. Create a new desktop shortcut (to anything)
    2. Create a new manual system restore point.
    3. Delete the new shortcut you created in step 1.
    4. Reboot the computer
    5. Run system restore and choose the restore point you created in
    step 2.

    If the deleted shortcut does not reappear on your desktop then you
    still have problems with System Restore. See MVP Bert Kinney's System
    Restore pages: http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Ron Martell, Dec 5, 2005