Help: Canon A70 does not recognize CF card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tho X. Bui, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. Tho X. Bui

    Tho X. Bui Guest

    Hi y'all,

    Help!!!!

    In the middle of vacation here, and my A-70 pooped out on me.
    It no longer recognizes the presence of CF cards (I have two, which seem
    to be fine according to my laptop).
    Can't even format the cards, because their presence is not recognized.
    Took out all the batteries (both the AAs and the little button one).
    Nothing works.

    Contacted Canon help desk, and they asked me to send the camera to them
    for repair :-(

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Tho

    Tho X. Bui, Apr 15, 2004

  2. Tho X. Bui

    Ed Kline Guest

    : Hi y'all,
    :
    : Help!!!!
    :
    : In the middle of vacation here, and my A-70 pooped out on me.
    : It no longer recognizes the presence of CF cards (I have two, which
    seem
    : to be fine according to my laptop).
    : Can't even format the cards, because their presence is not recognized.
    : Took out all the batteries (both the AAs and the little button one).
    : Nothing works.
    :
    : Contacted Canon help desk, and they asked me to send the camera to
    them
    : for repair :-(
    :
    : Any suggestions?
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : Tho

    I have experienced the same problem with my s230. Had three cards,
    different brands and sizes and after using a card reader they would not
    work in camera. I was able to exchange one of the cards for a new one
    which works fine.

    Problem doesn't seem to be the camera, but I don't know what the deal
    is.

    Ed

    Ed Kline, Apr 15, 2004

  3. Tho X. Bui

    Tho X. Bui Guest

    Thanks for the input, Ed, but it doesn't seem to be my problem. I had
    two cards that I've been using forever.
    Yesterday, I used up one taking some long avi's, so I replaced it with
    the other one, and both are now not recognized.

    I guess I can stop by a local photo store and buy a card to see if it
    works with my camera.

    Tho

    Tho X. Bui, Apr 16, 2004
  4. Tho X. Bui

    O R Guest

    Maybe you pulled out and shoved in a card one time too many and broke a
    connection in either the socket of the card (which would explain why a
    brand new card will work) or the socket of the camera (which would
    explain why *no* card will now work).

    O R, Apr 16, 2004
  5. Tho X. Bui

    Ed Kline Guest

    : Maybe you pulled out and shoved in a card one time too many and broke
    : connection in either the socket of the card (which would explain why a
    : brand new card will work) or the socket of the camera (which would
    : explain why *no* card will now work).
    :
    In my case the cards continue to work in a new card reader with my
    laptop. They don't work in the camera even though they appear to have
    the correct format. The camera can't write to them.

    Ed Kline, Apr 16, 2004
  6. You are positive they have the correct format? Your PC can read FAT
    16 and FAT 32, but the camera can most likely only read FAT16. Some of
    the newer cameras can read FAT 32.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Apr 17, 2004
  7. Tho X. Bui

    Tho X. Bui Guest

    :)

    How many times am I allowed to pull out and insert a card?
    Just kidding, of course, but I'm not too happy right now since I have to
    finish up my vacation with a cheapo disposable film box :-(
    Thanks, Canon.

    Tho

    Tho X. Bui, Apr 17, 2004
  8. Tho X. Bui

    Ed Kline Guest

    :
    : You are positive they have the correct format? Your PC can read FAT
    : 16 and FAT 32, but the camera can most likely only read FAT16. Some of
    : the newer cameras can read FAT 32.

    I made sure they were formated FAT 16

    Ed

    Ed Kline, Apr 17, 2004