Help? Bluetooth "Class of Device" Attribute

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Kyle, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Kyle

    Kyle Guest

    The "Class of Device" (COD) is used in device discovery. It's a 3-byte
    value that describes a device in terms like Computer:Laptop or
    Imaging:printer.

    Some Bluetooth protocols, including Basic Printing Profile (BPP)
    require this attribute to be set to a specific value. I am writing
    software that uses Microsoft's Bluetooth Stack to support BPP on a
    Windows XP SP2 installation, and I need to set this value.

    The COD currently defaults to: 0x020104

    I haven't found a configurable "Class of Device" registry value and
    according to MS support, it cannot be set programmatically via the SDK.
    This value _must_ be set with software somewhere, since it seems that
    some Bluetooth dongles ship with an invalid setting.

    I really need this to work, even if it means editing bits in a bth*
    library or in the driver. Please reply if you have any insight. Thank
    you,

    Kyle Scholz

    Kyle, Apr 7, 2005