    (sorry for sounding disgusting, but there is a big smudge)
    I need to know how to get rid of this smudge, it is rather annoying as it
    was brand new yesterday.

    Anthony, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Anthony

    AOL.com Guest

    Did you try windex?

    AOL.com, Nov 19, 2003

  3. BAD idea! Windex should never be used on plastic!

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Anthony

    Kenny Guest

    Taken from:

    http://pcsupport.about.com/library/weekly/aa030903a.htm

    Can I use any type of cleaning solution on my LCD screen?
    No, using alcohol or ammonia - based cleaners repeatedly may cause permanent
    damage to the LCD. Over time using these types of cleaners could cause the
    surface of the screen to yellow. It can also make the screen brittle and
    eventually cause cracking on the screen surface.

    NOTICE: The following cleaners are unacceptable:
    .. Acetone
    .. Ethyl alcohol
    .. Ethyl acid
    .. Ammonia
    .. Methyl chloride

    What types of cleaners are acceptable?
    .. Water
    .. Vinegar (mixed with water)
    .. Isopropyl Alcohol
    .. Petroleum Benzene

    What are some of the basic supplies needed to clean an LCD screen?
    .. A soft cotton cloth. When cleaning the LCD screen it is important to use a
    soft cotton cloth, rather than an old rag. Some materials, such as paper
    towels, could cause scratches and damage the LCD screen.
    .. Solution of water and isopropyl alcohol. This solution can be used along
    with the soft cotton cloth.
    .. Computer wipes. Only use these if they specifically state on the package
    they are designed for LCD laptop screens. Computer wipes can come in handy
    for fast clean-ups or when you want to avoid mixing up a cleaning solution
    yourself.

    How do I clean the LCD surface properly?
    .. Do not spray any liquids on the LCD screen directly, and do not use paper
    towels, this can cause the LCD screen to become scratched.
    .. Always apply the solution to your cloth first, not directly to the parts
    you are cleaning. You want to avoid dripping the solution directly into your
    computer or laptop.
    .. Stroke the cloth across the display in one direction, moving from the top
    of the display to the bottom.

    Kenny, Nov 19, 2003
  5. Anthony

    philo Guest

    have a look here:
    http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000666.html

    philo, Nov 19, 2003
  6. I believe there is a version that can-not that I'm recommending its use
    on an LCD monitor, but I seem to remember seeing one that was advertised
    as 'safe for plastic'. I'm not really into household cleaning so I don't
    remember the specifics.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Anthony

    Thor Guest

    soft damp cloth. Should be all that's needed.

    Thor, Nov 20, 2003
  8. Anthony

    Roy Guest

    I've had good results from a damp lens cloth made for cameras and
    binocs.

    Somebody here recently predicted that, in 3 years, CRTs will no longer
    be available. "Hackers" unite!!

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    Roy, Nov 20, 2003
  9. Here's my short lecture on solvents:

    Some of them melt the plastic quicker than others.

    An LCD screen is a bad place to experiment or be unsure. Especially when there
    are plenty of alternatives specifically designed and recommended for the
    purpose.

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor, Nov 20, 2003
  10. Anthony

    Jerry G. Guest

    You should only use a very soft tissue such as Kleenex. Moisten it with a
    bit of water, and very gently clean the screen.

    Never clean the screen with strong cleaners including alcohol, or Windex.
    Use water only. If the screen ever becomes greasy, use a bit of
    dish-washing soap diluted in water. Then clean the solution off with a
    dampened Kleenex.

    Never press or rub your fingers on the screen. This can leave permanent
    damage on the screen. Rubbing the screen with the fingers will cause damage
    to the surface of the outer filter screen. Pressing on the screen, which
    some users will do to point to things, can do pixel damage that will not
    reset itself.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Yesterday I bought a brand new Sharp LCD monitor. Today, I accidentally
    sneezed and now there is a big smudge on the monitor where I wiped it off

    Jerry G., Nov 20, 2003
  11. Anthony

    Jerry G. Guest

    This so called rumour about CRT's not being available is fact. In 2002 many
    of the tube manufactures stopped production of the tubes. There are about 5
    major manufactures in the world that were making tubes. The major monitor
    manufactures will be running out of tubes by mid 2004. There will only be a
    few high end CRT monitors being made for specialized photo and cad work.
    These will be very expensive monitors. Sony is planning to only make 2
    models of high end CRT monitors for professional use. They will be in the
    19 to 20 inch size range. There may be some low cost tube monitor being made
    by a few of the no name assemblers for a while after the rest stop. They
    will most likely be using left over technologies and assemblies from the
    others.

    The LCD monitors will be getting better, and lower in cost. There are going
    to be some new display technologies coming out in about a year from now to
    totally replace CRT's in both computer monitors and TV sets. They are
    working on organic LED's, and DLP type technologies for TV and monitor
    displays. LCD's will be the preferred type of display for small and
    portable monitor applications.

    I first saw an LCD colour monitor about 15 years ago. The size was only 14
    inches, and the cost approached that of a new car! It was also not very good
    compared to the ones of today.

    Sofar, Hitachi, Matsuchita, Sony, and Toshiba, have officially announced
    that they are stopping all picture tube monitor and TV manufacturing in
    2004. These are the 4 major manufactures of the worlds TV components for
    this type of technology. Therefore there is no rumour to this fact!

    Check out these links:
    http://www.nestor.minsk.by/kge/0_net/3102107.html

    http://asia.tech.yahoo.com/031108/afp/031108220658aht.html

    http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/news/3651/1/

    Jerry G., Nov 20, 2003
  12. Anthony

    TV Slug Guest

    I agree. Just buy some wipes designed for LCD screens.

    TV Slug, Nov 20, 2003
  13. Anthony

    Alceryes Guest

    Somebody here recently predicted that, in 3 years, CRTs will no longer
    It will probably be a couple more years beyond that. LCD's are STILL not as
    good as a high-end CRT when it comes to gaming and true color photo editing
    but that will most likely change within a year or so. Oh well, my 20" flat
    screen CRT has served me well. When I find a 19" flat-panel, that games just
    as well and doesn't cost a mint I'll switch over. I'm sure gonna miss
    carrying that 20" CRT up 3 flights of stairs to a LAN though...8-p

    Alceryes, Nov 20, 2003
  14. Anthony

    Mikey Guest

    Be careful with kleenex, it can scratch a plastic screen too.
    I recommend a soft piece of cloth cut out of an old terrycloth towel, it's
    much gentler on the screen than Kleenex. I use it slightly moistened with
    water too, that's usually all it takes.

    Mikey, Nov 20, 2003
  15. Anthony

    kony Guest

    I don't believe you are correct. Perhaps Hitachi will stop, but as
    for the rest, you left out an important preposition- "in Japan", and
    omitted phrases like "Shifting its CRT production to overseas bases".

    It is not at all suprising that a manufacturer will scale back CRT
    production when other technologies take part of the market, and as
    each plant becomes more efficient, unless demand goes UP, the number
    of plants needed goes down, hence some plants get shut down.

    Dave

    kony, Nov 20, 2003
  16. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    UH OH! I tryed to wipe it off with my finger and that made the smudge bigger

    Anthony, Nov 20, 2003
  17. Bingo. Thanks for refreshing my memory-the Windex I saw *was* wipes!

    If what they claim is correct these would be safe to use, but I agree
    with BB-an LCD is a bad place to experiment. Try them on something else
    first. Better yet, get something that not only claims 'safe for plastic'
    but 'safe for LCD screens'.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 20, 2003
  18. Anthony

    olfart Guest

    I searched Google anf there is a spray called *snot-be-gone* but not sure
    how it works on plastic

    olfart, Nov 20, 2003
  19. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    OK, I got it off now. I just used a soft cloth and rubbed it gently. I
    didn't wet the cloth, I used it dry.

    Anthony, Nov 20, 2003
  20. Anthony

    TV Slug Guest