    to use the RW disc afterwards. my attempts thus far have only created
    "finalized" dvd rw discs that cannot be reformatted or rewritten to.

    tnaks for any help

    qwerty, Jan 6, 2004

  2. qwerty

    Steve Ferra Guest

    When it comes time to rewrite, just launch your burning software and insert
    the previously-written RW disc into the drive.

    The software I use to write discs (Nero and DVD Decrypter) each ask
    you if you want to overwrite the disc when presented with a burned
    RW.

    Steve Ferra, Jan 6, 2004

  3. qwerty

    Sam Lowry Guest

    Steve- Have you successfully put a dvd film on to a RW? I've had the same
    problem as "qwerty" -that it won't let me do it without finalizing.
    - SL

    Sam Lowry, Jan 6, 2004
  4. qwerty

    Steve Ferra Guest

    I've simply copied the movie via decrypter (in which case I burned
    the resulting .iso file in the same software) or shrink (in which
    I created a VIDEO_TS folder and then dragged the VIDEO_TS folder into
    the burn window and burned with Nero). In neither case I'm asked
    to finalize, since i'm burning in DVD Video mode. And the only
    difference between using an RW instead of an R is either being
    asked to format or to overwrite before burning.

    Steve Ferra, Jan 6, 2004
  5. qwerty

    John Howells Guest

    I have, both -RW and +RW, using Ulead DVD Movie Factory, TMPGenc DVD Author,
    and the Pinnacle S/W that came with the drive. No problem.
    So what? It can be erased and used again if it's RW. In each case the S/W
    noted offers to erase the disk if it's an RW that currently holds valid
    data.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Jan 6, 2004
  6. qwerty

    Bill Guest

    I burned a TV special for a friend onto DVD at Christmas. Before using an
    actual DVD-R disc, I purposely burned the files to a DVD-RW, using the
    RecordNow DX software that came with my Sony drive, so I could check the
    results. The burning software is set to finalize the disc upon completion.
    Afterwards, the files erased beautifully.

    I did experience an odd issue with this drive when first trying it in
    November though. Sometimes, after burning files to DVD-RW, I sometimes found
    it impossible to perform a full erasure--an error message would display each
    time. There were other issues as well, such as DVD/CD burnings halting in
    the middle with "drive communication" errors.

    At the time, I had both a CD-RW drive and the newer DVD-RW drive connected
    to the same IDE channel, using the "cable select" setting for each. Both the
    erase and burning issues disappeared when I connected each drive to its own
    separate channel.

    Bill, Jan 6, 2004
  7. qwerty

    Sam Lowry Guest

    Basically- it sounds like "finalizing" is different for DVD-RW than for
    CD-RW. As far as I can tell- when one selects DVD-Video in Nero- it defaults
    to Finalize. But- it sounds like you're saying you can still erase the disc.
    If so, this explains a lot. Gotta give it a try. I suppose it's only a
    couple $.
    - SK

    Sam Lowry, Jan 7, 2004