Help. Adding a PC hardrive to my Mac

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by PHIL, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. PHIL

    PHIL Guest

    Hi all:

    I could use some good advice here - I don't know as much as I think :)

    My old computer is a Dell Dimension XPS. My new system is a Mac G4.
    The old girl was giving me grief, more so every day, so I retired her.
    I wanted to move a couple files/programs over to my new lady, so I
    tried to network them together. After a couple days of great aggravation
    I gave up on that plan. ( I told you the old girl had problems...)

    So the new plan was to install ( add temporally ) the old HD into the Mac
    and then simply 'drag' the files from one place to the other. Well, the
    install went perfect- the old HD icon is right there on the desktop
    and I can access the files. BUT, it isn't how I thought it would be.
    I thought that clicking the HD icon would start up the old drive and
    I would be staring at my old Windows '98 desktop and be able to run
    any of the programs that are installed on it. No such luck :(

    There are two things that I would like to be able to do-

    1. Bring over my Microsoft Word program and use it for composing letters.

    2. Import my collection of pics & movies that I have collected on the old
    system, and be able to control/operate them as I did with the Microsoft
    properties.

    So is there a solution? Should I make this a dual-boot machine? Not that I
    even begin to understand what what involves ;)) Can you say brain
    fatigue!

    Thanks for any clues!

    PHIL, Aug 12, 2004

  2. PHIL

    colin Guest

    Perhaps an emulator, or install an equivalent mac version of microsoft word
    ; if required.
    http://www.macwindows.com/emulator.html

    colin, Aug 12, 2004

  3. PHIL

    Michael-NC Guest

    Bwhahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

    Michael-NC, Aug 13, 2004
  4. PHIL

    PHIL Guest

    Gee, sorry Mitchell-nc, I don't understand your comment.
    Please have your momma repost for us. Thanks!

    PHIL, Aug 13, 2004
  5. PHIL

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Windows (any version except NT/2000's DEC ALPHA version) runs only on
    x86 computers. Not only is a Mac not x86, but OSX is better than
    Windows 98 anyway.
    Out of the question. The copy of MS Word on your old hard drive is
    written and compiled to be run under Microsoft Windows on an x86
    processor. Your Mac wouldn't have a clue what to do with the
    instructions in the program.
    You can copy them over. If you wanted the Mac to work just like a
    windows PC, you are out of luck. It doesn't work like that. If you
    want/need that, you should return your mac and buy a PC.

    DeMoN LaG, Aug 14, 2004
  6. PHIL

    Michael-NC Guest

    You don't understand??? OK, you're a pitiful dumbass. Understand now?

    Michael-NC, Aug 15, 2004
  7. PHIL

    PHIL Guest

    Poor baby Mic. Running your mouth off and providing nothing
    useful as usual.

    You are LAME.

    and boring ...

    PHIL, Aug 15, 2004
  8. PHIL

    Michael-NC Guest

    Please feel free to post more of your MAC/PC questions. It was very
    entertaining. Hehehehehehe...

    Michael-NC, Aug 15, 2004