hello i did like to ask stuff about windows 64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by xCreax, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. xCreax

    xCreax Guest

    Hello. i'm new here.

    my Com specs :

    Geforce 7800 GT 256mb
    Lanparty UT SLI-DR motherboard
    Pc 4400 1 gig ram
    Amd athlon 64 x2 dualcore 3800+

    ok. u see i'm currently using windows xp 32 bit
    and i'm encoutering a huge problem. this computer is only 2 weeks old

    u see. whenever i leave a program on for more then 30 mins. it'll eat
    up 200 000 K - 300 000 K memory usage. why is this so? everytime i play
    game half way it LAGS VERY FAST.. and i must reboot to make it work
    again. its like ihave to reboot every 30 mins. can anyone explain why?
    must i change to a windows x64 bit?

    i've tried scanning with alot of stuff like hijackthis and stuff. i
    reformatted 7 times already. still encoutering the same problem !!

    xCreax, Dec 11, 2005

  2. I am thinking, perhaps you need to get a BIOS update to have it conform to
    the Dual-Core? Or you need a processor driver? I cannot be more specific - I
    have no experience with the Dual-Core's - but these are some of the mishaps
    that keeps creeping up here. Search the involved 'sites', (Motherboard,
    Chipset, AMD) to see if they have something you don't.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 11, 2005

  3. A BIOS update might be in order, especially if the cpu is an upgrade for
    this board. AMD does provide a cpu driver for the dual core cpu's. The
    symptoms described are very unusual, however. Without knowing what resident
    programs are running (I suspect a P2P file sharing client would do what is
    described) who can say what is going on.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 11, 2005
  4. xCreax

    xCreax Guest

    hmm. i just downloaded the amd driver and it still having the sam
    problem. i did not on any other non necessity program. i updated m
    bios long ago. hmm. this is really getting on my nerves

    xCreax, Dec 11, 2005
  5. I have none of the symptoms you describe on my AMD64 Athlon x2 4400+.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 11, 2005
  6. xCreax

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Open Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and have a look in the "Processes" tab. How
    many processes are running when this is going on? Can you see any processes
    in the list that you are not aware are running? What else have you installed
    on this machine application wise?

    Colin Nowell, Dec 11, 2005
  7. xCreax

    xCreax Guest

    xCreax, Dec 12, 2005
  8. xCreax

    Colin Nowell Guest

    I take it that GW.EXE is your game yes? If not, what is it? It's difficult
    to pin anything down from your picture...

    GW.EXE is taking 54% of one of your processors but not both...

    Colin Nowell, Dec 12, 2005
  9. xCreax

    xCreax Guest

    gw is my game. and iexplore is my IE.

    look at that amount of memory it eats. it makes my com lag. i dont kno
    why. this is sooooooooooo fustratin

    xCreax, Dec 12, 2005
  10. xCreax

    John Barnes Guest

    Don't know what your pictures are since they don't load, but the amount of
    memory you list is only a fraction of your ram so I see no reason you should
    have a problem especially in light of what the Collins' have said. Doesn't
    appear to be ram or cpu. What happens to your pagefile during the half
    hour. Where does it start and how much does it grow.

    John Barnes, Dec 12, 2005
  11. xCreax

    Colin Nowell Guest

    I think you are missing my point.... (try this link John and the image will
    load http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/1528/example7rc.gif )

    It is your game that is gulping down 51% of the total CPU time whilst IE is
    only taking a massive 2%... (perhaps your game doesn't run so well in
    WOW64?)

    The fact that IE is taking up 222,803K of memory will not, in itself, cause
    your machine to slow down. However, why have you got IE open in the first
    place and what sort of page do you have loaded that is eating so much
    memory? Try closing each of those instances of IE down and then see how it
    goes??

    Colin Nowell, Dec 12, 2005
  12. Thank you for that link - I got nothing but add's myself. And I agree about
    closing down IE, but could this be an on-line game with a bad connection? Or
    a misconfiguration of such a connection?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 13, 2005
  13. xCreax

    xCreax Guest

    oh. i was checking some map stuff with my IE. even if i dont open my GW
    FILE. it'll still eat up 200 000K +. well everytime when it hits 200
    000k+ memory. i surely have to restart regardless of what program is
    on. becuz when one of my program eats 200 000K+ ANY PROGRAM i open
    later on. will have the same effect and causes my com to lag like hell
    :/

    xCreax, Dec 13, 2005
  14. xCreax

    Colin Nowell Guest

    You are =still= missing my point...

    A single instance of IE with a basic web page open takes up roughly 26Mb of
    memory for its running process.

    I noticed in the image that the taskbar button showed you had IE open to
    some page related to your game and it seemed to be opening a LARGE data file
    as a web page. =That= is why your IE is using up 200Mb! Do you really need
    that page open while you are playing the game?

    Try something for me, have your task manager open with NO copies of IE
    running. Now click on this link http://www.bbc.co.uk and tell me how much
    memory the single instance of IE that opens up takes?

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Dec 13, 2005
  15. Hmmm. . .I've never heard of such a thing - I wonder if you wouldn't just
    bite the bullet, reformat and re-install from scratch, if you was me?

    The thing that I cannot get over is that, although it shouldn't lose that
    amount of memory at all, it is not (should not be) a disastrous amount of
    memory to lose to a process, it shouldn't affect the system so severely.

    How many 'Services' (roughly) is running concurrently on your system?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 13, 2005
  16. xCreax

    xCreax Guest

    colin. i got what u mean. i opened the webpage u showed me. starting it
    was fine. roughly 40 mins. it ate 337 831 k memory.

    xCreax, Dec 13, 2005
  17. xCreax

    John Barnes Guest

    Guess you aren't going to answer about your pagefile.
    I personally have 21-30 IE open when I am working and they range from 22K to
    61K to start but none of mine grow past about 100K

    John Barnes, Dec 13, 2005
  18. xCreax

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Yikes! Do you mean you clicked on the cleaned up link (that was yours
    originally...) that I posted for John to see the page?

    If that is what is happening then something is running on your system that
    you don't know about....

    What about that http://db.gamefaqs.... button that is on your taskbar in the
    screen shot? What is that?

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Dec 14, 2005
  19. xCreax

    xCreax Guest

    ah that. some small txt file. ahha

    Hmm regarding my page file. it stays at 141 ... but when the 300 000 k
    memory thing start.. it rises up to 740+

    xCreax, Dec 14, 2005