Hello everyone...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by chaser, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. chaser

    chaser Guest

    I'm Joe. I was just given a Canon PS S3 IS for my birtday. So far I
    love it. It is an upgrade from a Nikon CoolPix 2100. She loves me.

    The question I have I think might not be specific to this camera.

    When downloading pictures to the computer through the USB connection,
    does this use the camera's battery power? Or does use the power from the
    USB cable? Would I be better off removing the memory card and using the
    internal card reader on my laptop?

    I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the very near future. I can
    think of 3 more right now off the top of my head but what fun would that
    be?

    Thanks in advance,
    --
    JP

    "No one can tell me where my soul might be;
    I searched for God, but he eluded me;
    I sought my brother and found all three."

    -Ernest Howard Crosby

    chaser, Sep 5, 2006

  2. chaser

    Jim Townsend Guest

    The power comes from the camera battery. In other words you're
    wearing down the charge when you transfer images.

    You're better off with a card reader. They use the power from the
    USB port.

    Jim Townsend, Sep 5, 2006

  3. Sure, since the camera has to be turned on.

    Either way is OK, but you will probably find the card reader built into your
    laptop to be both faster and easier -- no need to bother with getting and
    connecting the USB cable.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Sep 5, 2006
  4. chaser

    D Russell Guest

    I've always thought of this as a trade off, on the one hand the card reader
    will be faster, and it won't run down the batteries in the camera, on the
    other hand the most risky thing you can do, on a regular basis, with a
    memory card is remove it from the camera. I stick to running the batteries
    down since I can recharge them, if I dropped the memory stick (in a cuppa
    maybe!!), or damaged it somehow it's a little more expensive. Maybe im just
    overly cautious :)
    Duncan

    D Russell, Sep 5, 2006