hear ye, hear ye.help is needed.......

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by estella aguilar, Aug 27, 2006.

  1. Amateurs are so cute.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 27, 2006

  2. estella aguilar

    AnAmigan Guest

    If you are making a living I guess you mean an amateur going pro.

    I have no experience with your lenses or camera but I do have some
    advice:

    Pick a style and discuss it with your wedding party.

    <ie. journalistic, formal poses, all flash, low angle, mixtures>

    Assemble a list of stock shots needed from the wedding.

    <a Web search should yield 5 lists you can concatenate>

    Make up a contract.

    <a simple one will do if you have managed expectations>

    Full frame shooting.

    <my personal preference - focus on eyes>

    Make sure you get the money shots.

    <Bouquet Toss, Garter, Toasts with reactions from B&G>

    Prepare for disaster.

    <batteries, practice skills, extra storage, backup camera>

    Use a pro lab for proofs.

    <they do know what to do>

    If you have a laptop and reader try and get the guests to download all
    their photos.

    <many eyes sometimes see things differently, take an assistant to do
    this>

    Shoot many many many shots.
    At least have a monopod handy.
    An external fill light.
    Charge enough for your work.

    Terry

    AnAmigan, Aug 27, 2006

  3. estella aguilar

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Even with every tool in the world for carpentry, one still needs to know
    HOW to use them in order to build something. Concentrate attention on
    learning HOW to do the job, and use the tools at hand.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 28, 2006
  4. There's no magic in the box. Wedding photography is about people -
    handling oneself professionally and delivering professional results has
    nothing to do with what kind of lens you're using.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 28, 2006
  5. estella aguilar

    Scott W Guest

    If it has nothing to do with what lens you use then you should be happy
    to use
    a Sigma lens?

    Scott

    Scott W, Aug 28, 2006
  6. thanks terry for being so helpful. i printed that info and i put it to use

    estella aguilar via PhotoKB.com, Aug 28, 2006
  7. One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 28, 2006
  8. estella aguilar

    Stace Guest

    must the replys be so negative....a LENS is NOT a do-dad, and this is
    an honest inportant question.

    Stace, Aug 28, 2006
  9. estella aguilar

    Stace Guest

    HI Estella, I am new to groups and am finding the negative comments
    that some make to be completely un-neccesary-I guess I will have to
    learn to ignor them and not waste time and energy on them right. We all
    start out as amatuer and are eager to learn the best way possible to
    do things-from the way we learn to the equipment we use, to the way we
    shoot...everyone has a different way and I know I learn from other
    photographers the best! With that said-I have a wide angle 19-35mm, a
    100mm macro, a 28-200mm telephoto and a 70-300mm telephoto, a Sima soft
    focus, and a Lensbaby in my bag that I use for my wedding shoots, I
    will say however the 28-200 is the one on the camera most of the day! I
    use the others for special shots I take...like macro shots of the
    flowers and little details of the wedding, or the soft focus on formals
    of the bride and groom. I have 2 sigma lens and do think they are great
    lenses, and Tamron is good too. Do a little more lens research to see
    what is out there and then make a good informed decision! Good luck.
    Stace

    Stace, Aug 28, 2006
  10. No it's not. If the person's greatest concern about photographing a
    wedding is whether this lens or that is right, he's missing the point.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 28, 2006
  11. estella aguilar

    ASAAR Guest

    Only a true expert such as yourself has ALL of the answers to all
    possible wedding photography questions. Of all these questions that
    could be asked, you appear to have set an arbitrary line dividing
    the possible questions into those asked by such knowledgeable
    photographers that they probably already have competence shooting
    weddings and are earning money doing so, whether full or part time.
    These you might consider worthy of answering, but such a
    photographer probably is well able to get answers without suffering
    your condescending assistance.

    And what of the other 99% of the questions that might be asked?
    You welcome them, since it gives you an opportunity to give a
    snotty, insulting response. Even if, as you assume, most of the
    people asking the questions are dimwits, going by past history
    you're quite mistaken, so who deserves the "dimwit" label can be
    just as easily applied to you. And what's the harm in providing an
    answer that might be ignored or not understood? Some of them
    wouldn't be, and all you're doing is ensuring that if any newbies
    develop a talent for wedding photography, none will be able to point
    to you with gratitude for helping them on their journey. For the
    sake of the kids, I sure hope you've never had any to raise.

    ASAAR, Aug 28, 2006
  12. That's a very good take, and good advice for us all. Welcome to you both!

    If I could suggest that when replying to a post, you put your reply
    after what you're responding to, and trim out what is irrelevant, it
    makes reading and subsequent replying easier and better understood.

    And not responding to those who need a good spanking is great advice,
    advice I too often ignore.....

    John McWilliams, Aug 28, 2006
  13. estella aguilar

    Stace Guest

    Perhaps it is NOT the greatest concern, but just one they had to get
    some helpful advice on and so posted to the group....isn't that what we
    are here for to help and communicate..NOT be a negative energy for the
    rest of us...my POINT is to be nice or say nothing at all.

    Stace, Aug 28, 2006
  14. The countless number of amateurs who routinely post messages about
    photographing weddings seem to have as their primary concern what kind
    of equipment to use. I've done weddings with just an 80mm lens on a
    Hasselblad. It's not about the equipment. Nobody asks questions about
    lighting and posing. Most seem to prefer the current trend of playing
    photojournalist. In the long term, that's not a good strategy.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 29, 2006
  15. estella aguilar

    Ray Fischer Guest

    It's a nice lens. A bit slow for indoor weddings but wide enough and
    sharp with good color.
    For weddings I think you'd find a 70-200mm a little long unless you
    want face shots from across the room. I'd consider the 24-105L if you
    have money or the 28-135 if you don't.
    You'll need at least the 430EX flash and practice using it. extra
    batteries and flash memory as well. Software like Photoshop CS2 is
    almost essential as well as something like Noise Ninja to clean up
    high ISO shots. Remember that taking the photos is only he first step
    toward producing actual prints for your customers.

    Ray Fischer, Aug 29, 2006
  16. estella aguilar

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    If you are a new amateur as you say you need quite a bit of experience
    before even thinking about tackling any sort of professional job.

    If you take any sort of sum for your pictures you are no longer an amateur
    but are a professional, whether a poor or decent professional is up to
    your customers to decide.

    Weddings are a very special occassion and a porr result can spoil it for
    everyone including the photographer.

    Neil Ellwood, Aug 29, 2006
  17. estella aguilar

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    You are missing the point - someone who needs to ask about what lens to
    use is not ready to do wedding photography.

    Neil Ellwood, Aug 29, 2006
  18. estella aguilar

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    It is not a stratagy, more a serial accident.

    Neil Ellwood, Aug 29, 2006
  19. Gee, that's awful negative.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 29, 2006
  20. My point exactly.