    At 30% if you put a platter in it, nothing will happen for a
    while, but when it does ... it really goes. Do not try this
    at home :)

    Jim Watt, Dec 24, 2005

  2. bavis

    Jim Watt Guest

    No, its dangerous and makes a mess and its not nearly as good
    as a few seconds in the microwave.

    Jim Watt, Dec 24, 2005

  3. Not to mention the fact that breaking a CD into even "several" pieces
    isn't much of a problem for someone who can pass a laser over the pieces
    rather than the standard way of spinning the media.

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Dec 25, 2005
  4. bavis

    dnss Guest

    I will remove 1 platter from a non defective hdd and mail it to you (please
    provide a snail mail address).
    Please respond with complete details of the data recovery.
    IF you are successful in this process I can send you work on a steady basis!

    dnss, Dec 25, 2005
  5. bavis

    dnss Guest

    The rumor mill lives on. (especially is newsgroups!)

    Please provide complete FACTUAL details of the process and equipment used to
    recover data from a hdd platter via an external method.

    Your statement re DR companies working in clean rooms is factual as well as
    disassembly of hdd's.

    dnss, Dec 25, 2005
  6. bavis

    Jim Watt Guest

    There are plenty of data recovery firms that do that, but they are
    rather expensive.

    Jim Watt, Dec 25, 2005
  7. What an idiot. A quick Google could have spared you a great deal of
    embarrassment, but here you are in a flaming rush to leave the bathroom
    with toilet paper hanging off the back of your shoe.

    You're spot on about one thing though. The level of incompetence and
    idiocy on Usenet is positively astounding. Every time I think I've seen
    the dumbest post imaginable, someone like you comes along and thoroughly
    dashes that perception.

    http://www.essdatarecovery.com/clean.asp

    http://www.dataemergency.co.uk/cleanroom.htm

    http://www.ontrack.com/special/0403cleanroom.asp

    http://www.1stdatarecovery.com/QA_ca.htm

    http://www.1stdatarecovery.com/QA_ca.htm#Q14

    http://www.nature-photography-central.com/DataRecovery.html

    http://www.updatexp.com/hard-drive-data-recovery.html

    http://www.disklabs.com/

    George Orwell, Dec 25, 2005
  8. bavis

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    Great!

    We'll need your credit card number. Clean room time is $425/HR with a 3
    hour minimum. Typical full drive recoveries run in the $4000 to $9000
    range. Since we'll only have a single platter we'll have to send
    considerable time piecing together your data by hand, so chances are
    you're looking at something more in the $10,000 to $12,000 range.

    Yes, we'll be happy to negotiate a contract for large quantities of
    drives. Typically on a per-byte basis.

    By the way, we're unable to guarantee recovery after incompetent customers
    destroy their own equipment trying to get it to us. The three hour minimum
    still applies.

    Nomen Nescio, Dec 25, 2005
  9. I thought I'd seen some lazy, ignorant posters in my time, but buddy.....
    you just blew them ALL away. :(

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Dec 25, 2005
  10. bavis

    Moe Trin Guest

    On Sun, 25 Dec 2005, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    Not the best idea - exposing the platter to the trials of snail-mail
    outside of the case is going to increase your costs, as the disks will
    have to be cleaned before mounting. Given the quality of my mail delivery
    service, you may also need to have the platters rolled flat again too.
    Ontrack disk recovery www.ontrack.com/ www.ontrack.de/ www.ontrack.co.uk/
    and so on. Do a google search, and get thousands of hits.

    Why compete with a very successful business. Hope Santa brought you a
    nice debit card with a high limit. One data recovery expense is a very
    good lesson as to why you should have tested, secured, up-to-date backups.
    Also, they do charge (a not-insignificant fee) just to fill in the paper
    work and look at the platter - you might not like the multi-thousand
    dollar surprise otherwise.

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Dec 25, 2005
  11. bavis

    icono Guest

    If the data was THAT important, the query would not be here.
    Real disks and data never see daylight and are incinerated.

    icono, Dec 25, 2005
  12. bavis

    icono Guest

    True, but they taste terrible. Maybe a little spam would help.

    icono, Dec 25, 2005
  13. bavis

    dnss Guest

    Well BORKED, I stated Factual and not B.S.
    I only read the info at Ontracks website (#1 in the DR world) re the
    data.

    I suggest you read the information at only this one factual link:

    http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/overwritten-data-guttman.html

    BTW if so many of you can obtain data directly from platters of a hdd, why
    are you not making a fortune in the DR business?

    My offer stands, I will send you one platter from a current hdd (say a 40 or
    80 GB), return the complete data and we can be at the forefront of the
    business.

    dnss, Dec 25, 2005
  14. bavis

    TwistyCreek Guest

    Did I say lazy and ignorant? I meant WILLFULLY lazy and ignorant.

    Every one of those links had references to clean rooms and data recovery,
    and you KNOW that, but you're just too damned immature and ignorant to
    bother with them.

    You're pathetic.
    Weasel dance noted. What does recovering wiped data have to do with
    recovering data from drives with mechanical failures that require the
    platters to be read outside the drive?

    Nothing. It's not even an amusing attempt to wriggle your way around your
    stupidity.
    Idiot. Did I say *I* could? I just gave you a quick random selection from
    the thousands of references that proves it possible.

    Someone else offered to take you up on your stupid challenge, why haven't
    you jumped all over it? You one of them cowards who just talks a good game
    from behind your keyboard?
    We? Who do you suppose would be stupid enough to partner up with a moron
    like YOU?

    TwistyCreek, Dec 26, 2005
  15. bavis

    Jeff Guest

    why not just bury it in the ground?

    Jeff, Dec 26, 2005
  16. It's Christmas, so I'm going to be nice..

    For those of us older types, "big" HDDs came as the platters mounted on a
    spindle, which could then be slotted into a rather expensive drive unit.
    This allowed you to (e.g.) swap the OS when performing processing above your
    actual storage ability (the data to be processed was dropped to tape). The
    downside was, of course, that you couldn't use the upper and lower surfaces,
    as they were too vulnerable to damage.

    Hence the DEC RA-60 (IIRC, "R" for removable, "A" for the bus architecture,
    "6" for 6 layers used for storage, and "0" for "original version") and FA-80
    (Fixed, A-bus, 8 layers on a similarly-sized platter). This was a *long*
    time ago, so anyone please feel to chip in and correct any mis-rememberings.

    I've used similar technology on DG Nova and Eclipse-line machines, and in
    the mainframe world (although the latter not programming). It's one reason
    why you still hear oldies refer to "spindles" instead of "drives".

    Once a year, we'd get someone in who would ostensibly verify that all the
    removable disk packs on site were OK for another year. They usually wreaked
    three, on average. Consummate professionals that we were, we used to run a
    sweepstake ;o)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Dec 26, 2005
  17. bavis

    Jim Watt Guest

    a) its not secure
    b) environmental issues

    Jim Watt, Dec 26, 2005
  18. bavis

    Jeff Guest

    http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=147579-302-1198400

    Jeff, Dec 26, 2005
  19. bavis

    dnss Guest

    Wrong again, ontrack does not have this capability unless it was developed
    in the last 6 months.
    Try harder with some facts.

    dnss, Dec 26, 2005
  20. You lack the intelligence to educate yourself before posting to Usenet, so
    why would we assume you're competent enough to remove, pack, and ship a
    perfectly good platter without destroying it. If you were even a fraction
    as bright as you'd have to be to accomplish the job, we wouldn't be having
    this conversation in the first place.

    Merry Christmas. :)

    Fritz Wuehler, Dec 26, 2005