    Cable select.
    If you have another drive and don't know if its slave or master, set your
    new drive as CS

    SwissTony, Aug 23, 2004

  2. SwissTony

    Melv Guest

    Just got a new maxtor HD today. The junper settings diagram shows DS(Master)
    and CS enabled. What is CS enabled?
    Melv

    Melv, Aug 23, 2004

  3. SwissTony

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <x1kWc.1238$> "Melv"
    They supply the jumper so that you don't have to go find one (your
    average home user does not have jumpers kicking around)

    DevilsPGD, Aug 23, 2004
  4. SwissTony

    Melv Guest

    I want the maxtor as master and the old one as slave so which setting would
    the jumper need to be?
    Melv

    Melv, Aug 23, 2004
  5. SwissTony

    Melv Guest

    Also I have noticed a small single jumper (Not bridging any of the
    connections just covering one) What is that doing?

    Melv, Aug 23, 2004
  6. SwissTony

    SwissTony Guest

    What you need to do is change the old drive to slave.
    Look on the label of the old drive to find the correct pins to cover with
    the jumper.
    With the new drive, put the jumper on the pins for master. Look at the
    diagram on the top of the drive for the correct combination.
    Some drives have 2 jumpers, i believe the second one is to limit the drive
    to 32 gig for older motherboards. I could be wrong.
    Could you post the model numbers of both drives and i can look them up and
    provide more details.

    ST

    SwissTony, Aug 23, 2004
  7. SwissTony

    philo Guest

    that won't work

    if cable select is used *both* drives must have the jumpers set to "cs"

    then the drive closest to the mobo is master

    philo, Aug 23, 2004
  8. SwissTony

    Melv Guest

    I have the new HD model number if thats any good? Maxtor Diamondmax plus 9
    80gb ata/133
    Melv

    Melv, Aug 23, 2004
  9. SwissTony

    SwissTony Guest

    This link shows you exactly where to put the jumper.
    The small one that covers one pin does nothing by the looks of things.
    Look at the top row of diagrams not the ones with CLJ underneath.
    http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/jumper_settings/styl
    e_a2.htm

    SwissTony, Aug 23, 2004
  10. SwissTony

    SwissTony Guest

    SwissTony, Aug 23, 2004
  11. SwissTony

    Melv Guest

    Sorry that link gives error message
    File Not Found

    Error 404

    The file you have requested was not found on the Maxtor.com server. You may
    be following a bookmark or old link that no longer exists on the web site.
    Also note that URLs on Maxtor.com cannot contain spaces. Use the links
    provided below and on this site to find the correct page.

    a.. Use the Search utility available at the top of every page or click
    b.. Use the Site Map to narrow down the correct site section.
    c.. Use the Support Knowledge Base to find answers to many questions.
    d.. Use the button links fount throughout all site pages that correspond
    to the site's categories.

    If you cannot find the information you are looking

    Melv, Aug 23, 2004
  12. SwissTony

    Linda Guest

    Are you a kindergarten teacher?

    Linda, Aug 23, 2004
  13. SwissTony

    Melv Guest

    Melv, Aug 23, 2004
  14. SwissTony

    Fred Guest

    To answer your question, CS is "Cable Select". This will only work if you
    have the type of hard drive cable that has a twist in it, similar to a
    floppy drive cable.

    In order to have your new drive as master, and your old drive as slave, put
    the jumper on the Master setting on the new drive, and on the Slave setting
    on the old drive. This should work just fine.

    Hope this helps,

    Fred.

    Fred, Aug 23, 2004
  15. SwissTony