having trouble securing my wireless laptop

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by FireBrick, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. FireBrick

    FireBrick Guest

    I have the new Linksys wireless router which gets it's internet connection
    via a linksys cable modem.
    All my computers use my old wired cat5 cables except my new Toshiba laptop
    which is wireless.

    I have no problems connecting from anywhere in my home.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

    Even though I carefully read and tried to implement the instructions from
    the above URL
    I can't seem to make it work correctly.
    As soon as I complete these instructions, I loose the ability to connect to
    the web via the wireless laptop.

    I'm missing something here....
    Like a primer "Wireless security for REAL STUPID DUMMIES".
    Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

    Please and thank you.

    FireBrick, Aug 8, 2004

  2. FireBrick

    Jack Guest

    Jack, Aug 8, 2004

  3. FireBrick

    FireBrick Guest

    I've used those two sites previously
    but as soon as I try to set the encryption method in both the wireless
    router and the laptop the same, I loose connection, I get low signal message
    etc.
    I'm missing something basic here.

    FireBrick, Aug 10, 2004