Having trouble connecting to SOME sites

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jack B. Pollack, May 9, 2006.

  1. I just spent several hours cleaning up a friends computer (XP Home SP2),
    tons of spyware & viruses!

    The computer is running well now except some internet sites time out (also
    timeout in AOL).
    I can successfully ping these sites, host files are clear, temp folder
    empty, temp internet folder empty.

    Have run:

    Norton AV
    Avast
    HiJackThis
    AdAware
    AboutBuster
    CWshredder
    MS Malicious software tool
    XofSpy
    MS Anti-spyware
    AboutBuster
    RootKit revealer

    No un-needed startup items or processes running. MS firewall is turned off
    for testing.
    Reset TCP/IP

    Also, AdAware, MS AntiSpyware, Avast can not connect to do an auto update.

    Reinstalling OS is not an option as my friend is missing many install disks.
    All previous restore points are infected.

    Anybody have any other ideas???

    Thanks

    Jack B. Pollack, May 9, 2006

  2. Jack B. Pollack

    Plato Guest

    Although one can remove viruses and spyware. Very often the damage they
    cause still remains. Best bet in the future is NOT to download
    viruses/spyware in the first place. Secondly, dont install viruses or
    spyware if you do choose to download them.

    Make sure your anti-virus is up to date. Download any file to a download
    folder you create and then scan manually with your "second" backup anti
    whatever app. to make sure. When installing ware, read the docs and
    to see if they include spyware.

    Plato, May 10, 2006

  3. Jack B. Pollack

    Trax Guest

    |>I just spent several hours cleaning up a friends computer (XP Home SP2),
    |>tons of spyware & viruses!
    |>
    |>The computer is running well now except some internet sites time out (also
    |>timeout in AOL).
    |>I can successfully ping these sites, host files are clear, temp folder
    |>empty, temp internet folder empty.
    |>
    |>Have run:
    |>
    |>Norton AV
    |>Avast
    |>HiJackThis
    |>AdAware
    |>AboutBuster
    |>CWshredder
    |>MS Malicious software tool
    |>XofSpy
    |>MS Anti-spyware
    |>AboutBuster
    |>RootKit revealer
    |>
    |>No un-needed startup items or processes running. MS firewall is turned off
    |>for testing.
    |>Reset TCP/IP
    |>
    |>Also, AdAware, MS AntiSpyware, Avast can not connect to do an auto update.
    |>
    |>Reinstalling OS is not an option as my friend is missing many install disks.
    |>All previous restore points are infected.
    |>
    |>Anybody have any other ideas???

    Might of removed too much of the system, give SFC (System File
    Checker) a try http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    Your on your own for missing AOL files.

    Trax, May 10, 2006
  4. Jack B. Pollack

    Zoned Guest

    Check your HOSTS file in your windows folder.

    Open it up in Notepad.

    You can check for a rootkit with software from www.antirootkit.com

    regards

    Zoned, May 10, 2006