Having problem downloading big files !! Help !!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hsyq8xg, Apr 19, 2008.

  1. hsyq8xg

    hsyq8xg Guest

    I am using ADSL, 2Mbit / s connection.

    Lately am having much difficulties in downloading big files.

    Downloading stops at around the point of 50 MByte or so. Just stay
    there, no error message, just stay there. Nothing.

    At first I thought it was IE that went nuts. So I tried downloading
    with FireFox. Same things happen.

    Then I tried Opera. Same thing !

    If I use download manager like WellGet, the file can be downloaded, no
    problem. But if I try downloading large files with browsers, it just
    stay there, around 50 MBytes, it didn't say "error" or something, the
    download line still open, but even if I left it overnight, it still
    stays there.

    Dunno what the heck is wrong.

    Last time it was okay. Even when I downloaded ISO images (over 700MB
    sizes) it was okay. Now ... every browser gives me the "stop and wait,
    wait, wait" thing.

    Is there something to do with registry or TCPIP setting? I haven't do
    anything about those two, but can't guarantee if there's any trogan/
    virus that has altered the settings.

    How to check?

    So far, if I use download manager, it still downloads. But there are
    times download managers can't be use, such as if I need to download
    files from RapidShare or other file serving sites, then the download
    just sits there, waiting, waiting, waiting ...

    Oh, I've tried rebooting. I've even try clearing browser cookies/
    cache, everything. Just that the problem still persists !

    Can you help, please?

    Thank you !

    hsyq8xg, Apr 19, 2008

  2. hsyq8xg

    Pennywise Guest

    public.win98.gen_discussion

    stay there.

    Pennywise, Apr 19, 2008

  3. hsyq8xg

    MEB Guest

    | wrote:
    |
    | >Lately am having much difficulties in downloading big files.
    |
    | public.win98.gen_discussion
    |
    | stay there.
    |
    | --
    |
    | Photochop'd?
    | http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9593/stolenbikejv7.jpg

    Don't direct them here unless its actually 98 or related.

    IF SO, we need information like:

    ISP [provider];

    Internet control programs [Anti-virus, SpyWare, etc.]

    network aspects [devices, etc.];

    actual OS [98 or SE] and update status;

    any tweaks or recent installed programs;

    information on where these/this file is located.

    And this, for a start.....

    MEB, Apr 19, 2008
  4. hsyq8xg

    pg Guest

    Same here !

    The file download may start like 100KB/s, and 5 minutes later it goes
    down to 30-50KB/s, and 5 more minutes later it goes down to 6 or 8KB/s
    and then it crawls, crawls, crawls, until it just stops.

    Funny thing is that there's no error anywhere !!

    I have checked my PC, no trojan, no virus, nothing. Check my
    connection too, don't seems to be any trouble. Just dunno what the
    heck happens in between the originating server and my PC.

    Download managers are another thing, especially those that split up
    the huge file download into many smaller parts. Because the download
    manager continuously sending out "I need this, I need that" message to
    the originating server, the transfer usually is quite high.

    But as the original poster has said, there are times we can't use
    download managers, the file-sharing places, for example, download
    managers just won't work.

    pg, Apr 20, 2008
  5. hsyq8xg

    M Guest

    You could try http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ works for me!

    M, Apr 20, 2008
  6. hsyq8xg

    Fan924 Guest

    Open Internet Explorer.
    Go to Tools,
    Internet Options,
    Temporary Internet files (middle of page),
    select Settings..... increase disk space size.

    It is probably currently set to 50MB maximum.

    Fan924, Apr 20, 2008
  7. hsyq8xg

    glee Guest

    That should have no bearing on it. Every computer I have at home and at work (over
    a dozen), and every machine I work on, is set to less than a 50MB maximum size TIF,
    and they all download files of any size with no problem....even files in the ~700MB
    range.

    glee, Apr 21, 2008