    Where something is to be saved onto a floppy (the post was about creating a
    boot disk), can it be saved on a CDdisc and boot be run from that disc?
    Thanks

    adcl, Nov 8, 2003

  2. adcl

    Brian H¹© Guest

    adcl said:
    As long as you don`t mind using a 700Mb cd to store a little over 1Mb of files.

    Brian H¹©, Nov 8, 2003

  3. adcl

    slumpy Guest

    With a rumble and a belch adcl decided to put the World to rights with this
    little speech from the heart...
    In a word...yes.
    Same process, different format.

    slumpy, Nov 8, 2003
  4. adcl

    Joe Peach Guest

    As long as you don`t mind using a 700Mb cd to store a little over 1Mb of
    files.

    At least you can get CDs free (after the rebate), I haven't seen that yet
    with 1.4s

    As far as I'm concerned, with cheap & free CDs, jump-drives, compact
    cards.....etc......who needs a floppy, I haven't used one for a long time,
    except my 98 & ME startup disks that I have had forever.

    Joe

    Joe Peach, Nov 8, 2003
  5. adcl

    slumpy Guest

    With a rumble and a belch Brian H¹© decided to put the World to rights with
    this little speech from the heart...
    But as you can get 100 cheap discs for under 18 quid now, it's all in the
    mind.

    slumpy, Nov 8, 2003
  6. adcl

    °Mike° Guest

    The post was about booting to DOS from a floppy.
    Buy yourself a floppy drive.

    °Mike°, Nov 8, 2003
  7. adcl

    adcl Guest

    thanks.... but why would the other 699Mb be wasted.... can't I write other
    files?

    adcl, Nov 9, 2003
  8. adcl

    slumpy Guest

    With a rumble and a belch adcl decided to put the World to rights with this
    little speech from the heart...
    CD-RW.
    Or...get a pack of cheap cd's from a computer fair, less than 20 quid a
    hundred, makes them almost disposable ;-)

    slumpy, Nov 9, 2003
  9. adcl

    adcl Guest

    so a floppy is still a needed piece of hardware and cannot be always
    replaced by a CD (as in the booting post)?

    adcl, Nov 9, 2003
  10. adcl

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Joe Peach said:
    Rebate?
    You appear to be using an American phrase, yet you are using a UK account.
    WTF is "the rebate"?

    Brian H¹©, Nov 9, 2003
  11. adcl

    adcl Guest

    OED gives the origin of "rebate" as: [From Middle English rebaten, to
    deduct, from Old French rabattre, rebattre, to reduce, to beat down again :
    re-, re- + abbattre, to beat down; see abate.].
    theoperative words being "Middle English".
    Not all UK residents are native BTW. As foreigners we have enriched (or
    maybe impoverished, depending on your standpoint) the beautiful idiom that
    English is!!
    :)

    adcl, Nov 9, 2003
  12. adcl

    Brian H¹© Guest

    adcl said:
    My point being that the "rebate" system used in the US doesn't exist in the UK
    AFAIAA

    Brian H¹©, Nov 9, 2003
  13. adcl Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    Maybe a USB floppy might help, if you have a spare USB port, and
    the bios allows booting from it?

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Nov 9, 2003
  14. adcl

    °Mike° Guest

    A floppy is invaluable for instances where you need to
    boot into DOS, for many reasons. It's not absolutely
    essential, but it's something that I wouldn't like to be
    without.

    °Mike°, Nov 9, 2003