Has anyone tried Walgreens Drugstore internet printing?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Al Dykes, Apr 8, 2007.

  1. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    Al Dykes, Apr 8, 2007

  2. Al Dykes

    Pat Guest

    They seem plentiful on the west coast. We use them for 4x6 prints.
    Conveniently close and cheap. The prints we care about are done in house.

    Pat, Apr 9, 2007

  3. Al Dykes

    sally Guest

    I printed some photos at the local Walgreens (in California). Quality was
    very poor. Colors were week and not very detailed. They are using some kind
    of mini-lab and probably were not maintaining it very well.

    sally, Apr 9, 2007
  4. Al Dykes

    ray Guest

    We live in a small city in Idaho - about 60,000 - we have two Walgreen's -
    yes, they are pretty pervasive.
    I've only submitted online once - we've submitted in the store several
    times - puts your photos right in the 'one hour' queue. Seems adequate.
    They probably do, but I doubt they have ready access to that info or can
    tell you where to get it.

    ray, Apr 9, 2007
  5. Al Dykes

    jpc Guest

    One of the largest in the country. My wife works for them and a few
    years ago she got a cup when they opened their 5000 drug store.
    Depends on where the prints are processed. If they maintain and
    calibrate their fuji frontier weekly they are generally pretty good.
    If not--who knows.

    Highly unlikely. You can find profiles on the web by doing a google
    search and trying they them out on 4x6 prints. The walgreens in my
    area print on fugi archive paper, matte and glossy, and I found a pair
    from a place in Hong Kong that work well. There are also generic
    profiles for the machines on the fuji website.

    If you don't mind paying postage and can wait a few days you might
    want to try Woodmans --a grocery chain in Wisconsin. They do great
    work cheaply--a 12 by 18 for $4.99 for instance-- and maintain their
    machines so well I can use the sRGB profile in photoshop CS2 and still
    get prints that match my monitor almost every time.

    One of the reasons they are so good is the company is employee owned
    and has a very low worker turnover. The same people who set up the
    photo department 4-5 years ago are still running it.

    the url is woodmansdigitalphoto.lifepics.com.

    jpc

    jpc, Apr 9, 2007
  6. Huge, maybe but just maybe, not the hugest, maybe the hugest.
    The one closest to me is excellent. Completely reliable and
    excellent prints.

    at least not in Illinois

    All our local stores use the same type printing machine and
    the calibrations are very similar.

    Dear Mr. JPC: where can we find that profile you mention?

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Apr 9, 2007
  7. Al Dykes

    Allen Guest

    Walgreens has been around at least 70 years; I'm surprised that there is
    a place in the US where they are considered new. When I was a child (I'm
    78) in west Texas I ate many sandwiches and drank many malts at their
    soda counter.You might say they are the Starbucks of drugstore chains.
    As to their prints--I haven't tried them, nor do I intend to,
    considering their prices on other items. In Austin, my experience has
    been that Costco makes the best low-price prints, and for a higher
    price, Ritz/Wolf/Whatever-they-are-called-in-your-location does a better
    job. However, I would expect that quality varies from location to
    location; here, Ritz has a human being sitting at a monitor making some
    corrections.
    Allen

    Allen, Apr 9, 2007
  8. Al Dykes

    SMS Guest

    I've used them occasionally. I'm sure that their printers do not have
    known profiles. I wouldn't use them for professional work, but for
    casual prints they're fine. They are very fast. By the time I go there,
    a ten minute walk, the prints are done.

    SMS, Apr 9, 2007
  9. Al Dykes

    jj Guest

    What about their CD resolution? For three bucks they'll put a roll of
    film on a CD, like Costco does. At the Costco I frequent, film-to-CD
    images are about 4 MB at 72dpi, scanned at 3087x2048. (They use
    Noritsu machines, but use Fuji chems and paper.) Anyone know what
    Walgreen's uses?

    JJ

    jj, Apr 9, 2007
  10. They are very large Nationwide [they have been in Minnesota, where I live, for
    at least 30 years .. probably MUCH longer].

    I have tested their service and it leaves a lot to be desired. They use cheap
    kodak paper, not the better stuff [no options either]. They offer Kodak
    Perfect Touch [maybe a good thing depending upon the source of the images
    ;-)]. The do NOT handle printer profiles and, to my knowledge, any color
    profile is simply ignored and treated as sRGB. They use Snapfish as their
    online interface, so read into that what you like.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 9, 2007
  11. Al Dykes

    jpc Guest

    Google icc profile fuji frontier or something like that. Then go down
    the links until you find profiles. I save'd the profiles but not the
    links

    jpc

    jpc, Apr 9, 2007
  12. Al Dykes

    Wild Cabayo Guest

    I tested both Walgreen's and Longs Drug Stores for both printing and
    film-to-Digital CD.

    First, the positive. They are quick, inexpensive and convenient since, you
    can also order re-prints and enlargements of digitized images via their
    website's online/upload feature. I've had them print 4x6, 8x10 and 16x20.
    They did well on the 4x6 and 16x20. Color and quality was good but, could be
    better.

    Now, the negative. They did lousy with 8x10 printing in regards to cropping.
    If you shoot digital, you should manually crop your original images for 8x10
    printing to just the way you like it before you bring it to them or, upload
    it to their website. Otherwise, cropping is done automically and arbitrarily
    by their machine. Their film-to-CD transfer process results in image
    resolution at 1800x1215 at 72dpi. Not large enough for me to consider pro
    quality. However, the images are large enough to allow for some decent
    editing in PhotoShop or other graphics editing program.

    Now, the worse. Their clerks aren't very knowledgeable about their machines.

    I rated Walgreen's better than Longs in terms of quality. Furthermore, a
    couple of Walgreen's stores I've visited, the clerks were somewhat familiar
    with some kind of policy that forbade them from doing reprints for clients
    who have images that are obviously produced by a pro shooter. I've talked to
    at least three aspiring Models who I've not worked with, tell me that the
    Walgreen's and CostCo clerks would not accept their order. Interesting, I
    thought.

    If I remember correctly, Walgreen's also has a "program" where if you need
    to do bulk printing and film-to-CD, I believe they give you a price
    reduction but, there are forms to fill out. Better cross check me because,
    my memory of what the clerk told me about this is vague since, my
    conversation with the clerk too place a couple of years ago.

    For higher quality and more precise control, I do my own printing @ home
    using hardware I've become very intimate with and using high quality paper
    stock (not from HP, Epson, etc) or, I go to a specific pro lab in my area
    and tell them exactly what I want.

    Wild Cabayo, Apr 11, 2007
  13. Al Dykes

    Wild Cabayo Guest

    I forgot to mention that neither of them (Longs and Walgreens) do E-6 and
    B/W's in the store. They outsource to a "mystery" lab whom they have no
    knowledge about other than "Kodak". LOL. Um. Ohhhkay. I tested both
    Walgreen's, Longs and a local Camera Supply store once, with two rolls of
    Slides and B/W. (casual shots of inanimate objects. nothing important)

    For Longs and Walgreens, I was worried about my stuff the whole 1.5 weeks my
    stuff was at the "mystery" lab. I got my stuff back from all three shops,
    intact but, noticed there was some dust/water spots on my film. Ugh!

    The pro lab I take my slides and b/w to, has a one day turn around time and
    I can choose the following:

    - Have the negative strips cut at 6 or 8 frames or not cut at all and rolled
    neatly into a protector.
    - Cut and Stored in a 8.5 x 11 film protective sheet
    - Slides mounted and stored in a cute little box and optionally stamped with
    frame number sequence.

    The film is clean, no dust or, water spots. Note, at a Pro Lab, you pay just
    slightly more for a one day turn around time. However, in most cases, it's
    worth it.

    Wild Cabayo, Apr 11, 2007
  14. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    Do these services bleed to the edge?

    Yes, I know people that do professional printing on their own.
    They've invested a little too much money (not much more) than I care
    to by my current priorities, and things are always facter/cheaper/better
    next month, anyway.

    Al Dykes, Apr 11, 2007
  15. Al Dykes

    jpc Guest

    If you want to prevent fuji machines from cropping your prints
    up your cavas size a little and fill it in with black. The machine's
    softeware see that and at worse crops a 8x10 print by around .01
    inches from what you specified.

    jpc, Apr 11, 2007