    I am thinking of getting one as a backup camera to replace my aging
    point and shoot.

    FWIW: My main camera is a 50D

    philo , Apr 13, 2013

  2. philo

    Robert Coe Guest

    : I am thinking of getting one as a backup camera to replace my aging
    : point and shoot.
    :
    : FWIW: My main camera is a 50D

    At the risk of taking the discussion in a different direction ...

    If I were in your situation, I'd consider a Canon T2i as my backup camera.
    It's one of the better cameras for the money that Canon ever made, but was
    recently discontinued. (They're now up to the T5i.) So you might be able to
    get a new one at a good price or a used one for a song. Then you'd be able to
    share lenses with your 50D. One odditity of having a T2i as backup to a 50D is
    that the T2i has a higher-resolution sensor (18MP) than the 50D does.

    I have a 50D, and my wife has a T2i. So at least my advice isn't that of a
    total newbie. (OTOH, I know nothing at all about the P520; on that I *am* a
    total newbie.)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 13, 2013

  3. philo

    philo  Guest

    I am sure that's a good camera but I *really* want a "swivel" viewer

    thanks

    philo , Apr 13, 2013
  4. philo

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On 04/13/2013 05:22 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > Canon T2i
    :
    :
    :
    : I am sure that's a good camera but I *really* want a "swivel" viewer

    I believe all the Tni's above the T2i have it. My guess is that you'd pay a
    bit more for a T3i, say, than for a T2i; but if you don't spring for the
    features on your "A" list, you're likely to regret it.

    However, I stand by my idea that compatibility with your current equipment is
    important, unless your long-term plan involves a total switch to Nikon.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 14, 2013
  5. philo

    philo  Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    The T3i would do the job...but I do not need compatibility as I own only
    *one* Canon lens.If I wanted to have two cameras with me, I'd need to
    purchase another lens. Of course that would not be a bad idea...but
    I also wanted a camera as compact as possible and am willing to give up
    a removable lens for that.

    philo , Apr 14, 2013
  6. philo

    philo  Guest

    Thank you for the suggestion , that one looks even better that the
    Coolpix...I am going to give that one very serious consideration!

    philo , Apr 14, 2013
  7. philo

    Tim Conway Guest

    Philo,
    You might want to check out Canon's G1X. I think it's the next best thing
    to a DSLR but still compact enough for a large pocket.

    Tim Conway, Apr 14, 2013
  8. philo

    philo  Guest

    On 04/14/2013 04:43 PM, Tim Conway wrote:

    Decided to get the G1-X and saw a new one on eBay at a decent price.

    Was just about to purchase it , then realized I did not have enough
    money in Pay Pal! It's now sold, but when the money is transferred
    in a few days I will look again.

    philo , Apr 15, 2013
  9. philo

    philo  Guest

    Thanks. I'll post back when I get it.

    As much as a love my 50D, for some situations it's too bulky

    philo , Apr 16, 2013
  10. philo

    Tim Conway Guest

    Good for you.
    I want to get one if/when I ever get the money together. I'm afraid the
    days of lugging around a tripod and a bagful of gear are over for me. This
    looks like a reasonable alternative. good luck

    Tim Conway, Apr 16, 2013