    Website - http://www.sithicus.org

    "Try not, do or do not there is no try" - Yoda(Empire Strikes Back)

    Suggestion(s) or comments?

    Crow T Robot, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Crow T Robot

    macro Guest

    What's the rationale behind it's not using a standard 3x2 image size?

    It sure seems odd for a dslr...

    macro, Nov 20, 2004

  3. Crow T Robot

    Matt Guest

    Just out of interest, why do you want a 7D (I really am interested BTW)?

    I have been using 35mm Minolta and considered this camera the first choice,
    but it seems like the Canon 20D has a lot more going for it, and there are a
    greater range of accessories for it like wide angle lenses, etc.

    Matt, Nov 20, 2004
  4. Crow T Robot

    steven Guest

    What are you talking about? 7D (highest resolution) image size is 3008 x
    2000.

    steven, Nov 20, 2004
  5. Crow T Robot

    steven Guest

    In the shop around the corner from where I live (Europe), the Dynax 7D
    should be available Real Soon Now. They expect it before the end of
    November.
    If they don't have it in time for the Christmas sale, there's gonna be a big
    stink in K-M management, me thinks. Being late for Christmas in a highly
    competetive consumer electronics market can easily cost you several tens of
    megadollars...

    steven, Nov 20, 2004
  6. Crow T Robot

    macro Guest

    As opposed to 3000 x 2000?

    macro, Nov 20, 2004
  7. Crow T Robot

    macro Guest

    I'm sure there's a long internal story behind it, but it sinks the camera.

    macro, Nov 20, 2004
  8. Crow T Robot

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    The Maxxum 7D has the Image Stabilization (anty shake) built into the camera so
    any Bayonet type Minolta (or Sigma) lenses will work. While the Canon 20d is an
    excellent camera, the lenses with Image stabilization will cost you alot.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Nov 21, 2004
  9. Crow T Robot

    macro Guest

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but IS better the farther from the sensor you go...

    macro, Nov 21, 2004
  10. Crow T Robot

    Florian Guest

    If you need an exact 3:2 pixel ratio, just crop four pixels off each side.
    The aspect ratio error is a quarter of a percent; hardly noticeable. It's
    not going to sink the camera.

    Florian, Nov 21, 2004
  11. 'Cause those bastards at Sony are screwin' us out of the 16,042 (and two
    thirds) pixels WE DESERVE!

    Martin Francis, Nov 21, 2004
  12. I got my 7D last Monday and I'm in love... My main reason for going
    with the Maxxum is the collection of lenses and accessories I already
    had for my Maxxum 9xi's. All the lenses work well (Minolta 50 f/1.4 &
    50 f/2.8 Macro; Tamron 35-105 f/2.8; Sigma 75-300 f/4~5.6 APO & 500
    f/7.2; Tokina 20-35 f/3.5)

    My Tamron 1.4x and 2x tele-extenders work okay only if I turn off
    autofocus; if AF is on, the camera just sorta growls the focusing motor
    but won't focus or allow shutter release, no matter which lens I use.

    My 18 year-old Minolta 4000AF strobe also doesn't talk to the camera
    other than to fire when the shutter is released. I will have to go back
    and dust off the brain cell that supposedly learned how to calculate via
    guide numbers, ISOs and distance - or I can just use the brute force
    trial-and-error method since I have instant feedback - that method has
    worked very nicely in my tests so far. Might look into one of the newer
    whizbang Minolta strobes when I gather up some more pennies, but I
    really don't do all that much flash photography.

    I also got the VC-7D Vertical Control Grip which seems to work very
    nicely, it gives me a better grip on the camera than I usually have on
    reality (not like that's saying a lot...), and it has room for two
    NP-400 batteries - a nice feature is that it will operate also with only
    one battery installed, or with 6 AA Ni-Mh cells (haven't tried the
    latter.)

    I'm using a Hitachi 4Gb Microdrive which has been trouble-free so far
    other than it fits quite snugly into the slot, I have a little trouble
    getting my big fingers in to pull it out after pushing the eject lever -
    still better than having it go sproinging out over the rim at Crater
    Lake or into the intake of a jet... I have managed to about half fill
    it so far and have only recharged the batteries once, and then only
    after a big set of long nighttime exposure tests - these also turned out
    quite well, at least here close to a city core with brightly light
    polluted skies, Seattle hasn't had a clear night yet to try some
    starscape photos, maybe next August. The 2 second delay release mode is
    great for such tripod shots, the 7D locks up the mirror when you press
    the shutter allowing vibrations to damp before the actual exposure -
    schweet!

    Coming from decades of slides, I really like being able to change ISO in
    'mid roll' - even at ISO 800, noise is minimal; at 3200 there is a fair
    bit, but still less than I get scanning an ISO 200 negative in my Nikon
    Coolscan 4000ED. Was having fun late last night riding home with a
    friend, handholding amazingly short exposures out the windshield at ISO
    3200 with a 1.4 lens that showed very nicely the moron in the next lane
    aggressively tailgating the poor sot in front of him.

    The anti-shake system seems to work quite well, and is a real plus for
    me as I'm not as steady as I used to be with this bum back; Minolta also
    came to my rescue like this in 1985 when they brought out the Maxxum
    7000 AF just as my eyesight was taking a decided turn for the worse.
    The data display on the 7D is also a real help for my crummy eyes - I
    can set it to the minimal data mode where just the most important
    details are shown in even larger text - much easier for me to see than
    the LCD panels on my 9xi's or the smaller viewfinder readouts, though
    the 7D is better there also compared to the 9xi.

    Summing up, I'm really happy with my new toy! I've had a Sony Mavica
    CD1000 for four years, nice for what it does, but nowhere near a match
    for a 'real' camera - this is my first experience with a DSLR, I don't
    think I will be shooting a whole lot of film from here on out!

    Bob ^,,^
    http://bobqat.com

    Bob Harrington, Nov 21, 2004
  13. Arr? Eight extra columns of pixels - 3.008:2 vs. 3:2 - is going to sink
    the camera?

    Well at least it won't be lonely down there in Mr. Jones locker with
    company like:

    Nikon D70 (3008 x 2000)
    Nikon D2H (2464 x 1632 or 3.02:2)
    Fuji S2 Pro (4256 x 2848 or 2.99:2)

    or any of the new 4:3 systems...

    The 'long internal story' is that, unlike 3000, 3008 is evenly divisible
    by 16 and 32, which makes binary byte, word and longword computations
    within the CPU much easier and faster.

    Bob ^,,^

    Bob Harrington, Nov 21, 2004
  14. Crow T Robot

    macro Guest

    Canon doesn't seem to have any mathematical issues at all.

    macro, Nov 21, 2004
  15. Crow T Robot

    Skip M Guest

    I don't think that an exact 3:2 ratio vs. one that is less than 1% too large
    is a reason to reject a camera. The overwhelming majority of photographers,
    even the most anal retentive pros (as opposed to the general run of the mill
    pros) would concern themselves with it, if indeed they were at all aware of
    it...

    Skip M, Nov 21, 2004
  16. Crow T Robot

    Alan Browne Guest

    Minolta make an excellent 20mm f/2.8 as well as a 16mm.
    The anti-shake on the 7D is usable with pretty much all lenses in the Minolta line.
    Yes Canon have more stuff... that only 5% (no make that 0.5%) of photographers
    are likely to ever buy).

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    -- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    -- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html

    Alan Browne, Nov 21, 2004
  17. Crow T Robot

    Alan Browne Guest

    IS and A-S are two completely different approaches to the problem. IS involves
    moving a lens element in the lens barrel.
    A-S is moving the sensor inside the camera.

    In the end, IS yields about 1 stop better handholding performance. You have to
    buy IS lenses, of course.

    Alan Browne, Nov 21, 2004
  18. Crow T Robot

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Nov 21, 2004
  19. Crow T Robot

    Alan Browne Guest

    I know of at least two people (1 in Sweden, 1 in the US) who have received
    theirs. So the pipeline appears to be filling... Kicking up a production run
    and distributing is not instantaneous.

    As for Christmas, not many people are going to get this as a gift unless they're
    giving it to themsleves for Christmas ... in which case they won't be terribly
    upset to wait a few weeks if that's the case... and if they're not Minolta lens
    invested then they can go to the others...

    FWIW, I've been promissed delivery by end of Nov. Not that I've ordered it.

    Alan Browne, Nov 21, 2004
  20. Crow T Robot

    Skip M Guest

    IS yields from 2-3 stops, both claimed and observed.
    Or are you saying that IS yields 1 stop better than A-S?

    Skip M, Nov 21, 2004