    repaired? Do they repair or replace under these circumstances? I assume
    that they will repair it rather than replace it, which is a bit annoying
    since it will probably be weeks before it's back.

    Scott Coutts, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Scott Coutts

    W6DKN Guest

    Wasn't the 10D the model that supposedly fixed the focus issues that the
    D30 and D60 had... :>)

    <<< Dan >>>

    W6DKN, Jul 24, 2003

  3. well the 10D is much faster than the D60, and much, much better in low
    light, but some ppl are having back and front-focus issues. most, however,
    like me, think the 10D is the proverbial bees' knees. certainly much better
    than my D60, and i loved that camera too.

    Warren Prasek, Jul 24, 2003
  4. I have not sent in my 10D but I did get my D60 recalibrated a year ago and I
    would imagine that the 10D procedure would be no different.

    They simply do a software calibration of the focus, using an application
    contained on the "service CD"... this is something that can be done yourself
    if you can get hold of the CD... but I think they are like rockinghorse crap
    now.

    If you are a member of CPS they will do it inside the week and if it takes
    longer they will give you a loan camera.... if you are not a CPS member you
    could expect maybe 2 weeks. My D60 was sent down from Brisbane on a Friday
    and I had it back by the following Friday (I am not CPS either) ......while
    that sounds good... it was not fixed and only after a further 2 months of
    sending it backwards and forwards was it finally repaired.

    That was a special case though, mine was the first D60 to go back with focus
    issues and was a hard one to fix due to the sensor being incorrectly
    positioned..... actually it was an easy fix, but it took them ages to work
    out the problem.

    AU Digital Photo Of The Day, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Scott Coutts

    Scott Coutts Guest

    Ummm... the fact that it front focusses?

    But seriously, i've tested it well enough, and it undoubtedly gets the
    focus wrong. Yes, I know how to use it properly etc. etc. :)

    Scott Coutts, Jul 24, 2003
  6. Scott Coutts

    JPS Guest

    In message <3f1f86e4$0$26531$>,
    Are most of the problems occuring in manual-focus, or in auto-focus?
    Conceivably, auto-focus could be offset in one direction, and the
    relative distances of the focus screen and sensor from the mirror could
    counter-act it, so that autofocus works correct and manual-focus
    doesn't. This would be especially true if they calibrated the cameras
    specifically for auto-focus.

    JPS, Jul 24, 2003
  7. Scott Coutts

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    Manual, or auto?

    JPS, Jul 24, 2003
  8. Yes auto-focus.

    AU Digital Photo Of The Day, Jul 24, 2003
  9. Scott Coutts

    BillP Guest

    Mine has an out of square view finder. It is so hard for me to get
    horizontal horizons because the screen is trapezoidal in shape. Does anyone
    else have this problem? Is it an out of line mirror?

    I can't send it back for about a month because of a couple of jobs coming up
    but am surely hoping that I don't get it back with the focus problems.

    BillP

    BillP, Jul 24, 2003
  10. Scott Coutts

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Some 10D's have problems focusing.. As a result, what you were actually
    focused on comes out blurry. They came from the factory this way.

    A small number of cameras display this trait.. Canon recognizes the probem
    and will fix it under warranty.

    Jim Townsend, Jul 24, 2003
  11. Scott Coutts

    Scott Coutts Guest

    Mine seems to be fine in this respect.
    Yes! That's the problem with sending mine back too! That's why I started
    this thread... I was hoping somebody would say that they'd had it
    replaced ):

    Scott Coutts, Jul 25, 2003
  12. Scott Coutts

    Scott Coutts Guest

    I've tested manual and auto. It's only wrong whilst using AF. That's why
    I havent taken it back yet; firstly, I need it! Secondly, I have been
    using it in MF. I can manual focus it and the shots come out fine, but
    auto will miss a lot of the time. And I'm not talking about missing by a
    small amount. I know that canon's description of 'in spec' AF means that
    the point in the AF area just has to be somewhere within the DOF - it
    doesnt have to be at any particular depth in the DOF. But my camera will
    completely miss it quite often.

    And before it's suggested... no, the camera has not picked another
    object in the frame etc. It has focussed a few cm in front of where it
    was supposed to!

    Scott Coutts, Jul 25, 2003
  13. Scott Coutts

    Scott Coutts Guest

    Nah, it's a problem with AF only. It is a recognised problem by Canon.
    There were a few early ones that shipped that way from the factory.

    Scott Coutts, Jul 25, 2003
  14. Scott Coutts

    BillP Guest

    Wouldn't it be nice if they would replace but I really do doubt it. The
    only way I can see Canon replacing the camera is if the cost is less that
    fixing it......then again, these problems have not occurred SINCE we bought
    the camera, they where there WHEN we bought it.

    Canon should really replace it shouldn't they if they sold us a lemon.

    There argument will probably be against us due to the time frame from when
    we bought the camera to the time when we approached them with the problem.
    I have only just noticed mine in the last couple of weeks but looking back
    at my shots, a lot of them are sloping down. I had always put it down to
    bad technique or something until I noticed the viewfinder problem.

    Good luck with yours and if they replace it, let us all know.

    BillP

    BillP, Jul 25, 2003
  15. Scott Coutts

    Scott Coutts Guest

    Yup, I'm going in for an arguement on Monday... but I think they will
    just fix it rather than replace it.

    Scott Coutts, Jul 26, 2003
  16. That has always been the mirror out of alignment that I've ever seen
    before.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

    Paul Repacholi, Jul 26, 2003
  17. Scott Coutts

    BillP Guest

    Yep, I'd hate to own shares in Canon when they announce a profit warning at
    their next AGM. ;o)

    Seriously though if the problem was there from day dot and it is going to be
    (pessimistically speculating) several weeks to fix, then at the very least a
    loan camera (of equal or better standard) should not be too much to ask for.
    A brand new 10D would be easier for me but a loan of a 1Ds would be nice
    aswell. :eek:P

    BillP

    BillP, Jul 26, 2003
  18. Scott Coutts

    Cameron Guest

    I think you will find that it is not as simple as you say in all instances.
    On some Nikon digital SLR's (I have had it with D1, D1h and now a little
    with a D100 body) it can be caused by the CCD moving out of exact alignment
    making the distance from subject to focussing screen different to distance
    from subject to CCD. When this happens it doesn't matter whether you focus
    manually, use a tripod, autofocus or any other methods, the only way to get
    focus exact is to have a guess at where to focus or maybe shoot everything
    stopped down.

    I have spent a couple of thousand dollars repairing this continuing problem
    over the past 4 years. I have never had it in any film cameras that I have
    owned and used heavily (35mm and 67). Nikon will only admit that it is
    caused by impact damage which is widely regarded as BULLSH*T by many nikon
    dig owners.

    HTH

    Cameron

    Cameron, Jul 26, 2003
  19. Scott Coutts

    auspics Guest

    Nikon's have their own unique problems due in part to Sony sensors being
    used. Let's hope the soon to be released Nikon sensor will make a better
    camera. I personally like Nikons but... (Not my words) If Canon could make
    lenses like Nikon and Nikon could make cameras like Canon, we'd have 2
    brands of perfect cameras!
    JT

    auspics, Jul 27, 2003
  20. Scott Coutts

    JK Guest

    Which makes me wonder why Canon didn't buy Nikon years ago.

    JK, Jul 27, 2003