  1. Mutlley

    Mutlley Guest

    If it is they don't have a sale with us..

    Mutlley, Mar 14, 2006

  2. Mutlley

    Mutlley Guest

    That's basically what we did Barry.

    Mutlley, Mar 14, 2006

  3. Mutlley

    Allistar Guest

    Which formats are acceptable?

    ..doc sure isn't (requires commercial software not everyone has) and doesn't
    work on every platform.
    ..pdf may be (if it's a version that a free DRM-less reader can open).
    ..ods? Sure, it's an open format with full support from a free product
    (OpenOffice.org), but how many people have OOo installed, or are willing to
    install it?
    ..txt? Sure, but it's not very "rich".
    Indeed. so which format should we advocate? I go with .ods myself, but
    still, most people don't have OOo installed.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Mar 14, 2006
  4. I have a copy of VB for Windows Professional Edition version
    2.0.with a missing Setup.exe file.

    Is there a generic setup file for earlier windows programs, or is
    each setup file program-specific ?

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Mar 14, 2006
  5. We should advocate the use of Open standards. ODF is an appropriate
    standard. PDF is also an appropriate standard. Readers and writers for
    those two standards are freely available.

    We should also advocate NOT using DRM-crippled software or operating
    systems.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 14, 2006
  6. Mutlley

    Alan Guest

    I have just had a good look and I cannot find that link any longer.

    I'm sure I never had *that* much trouble in the past - it was obscure
    but findable.

    Are you able to post the link?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Mar 15, 2006
  7. Mutlley

    David Guest

    How did this get in the "Has Adobe gone nuts" thread? Or is my news
    server/reader broken?

    If it uses MSI, you shouldn't need setup.exe. Look for a .msi file.

    David, Mar 15, 2006
  8. Mutlley

    Alan Guest

    It's in the Adobe thread for me too.

    I would guess that the poster replied to the wrong message?

    Alan, Mar 15, 2006
  9. Mutlley

    Mutlley Guest

    A great little reader. Real fast.. However it has one nasty problem.
    It defaults all print jobs to "letter" format regardless of what the
    printer defaults are. Ours are A4..

    At home this is not a problem as my Brother prints either to A4
    paper but when I tried it at work 2 of the 3 printers rejected the
    letter format unless I access the printer settings before each print
    job and changed the paper type back to A4.

    Looked on the Foxit forum but no mention of this problem..

    Any work round??

    TIA.

    Mutlley, Mar 16, 2006
  10. I use Foxit as the default reader here on a W98 machine and have not
    experienced that problem. Default printer is an HP LJIII set to A4
    which DOES throw a wobbly if letter jobs are sent to it (a problem
    generally caused by .doc files that come from people who have never
    bothered to set their end to A4).
    I don't remember having to alter anything when I installed Foxit but
    see there is a "Print Setup" under the File menu.

    Foxit does sometimes not render pages quite correctly, noticable with
    descenders particularly. It also doesn't always print exactly what is
    on the screen. For example my Genesis Electricity invoice has a large
    black circle printed on page two which is not there if printed with
    Acrobat Reader. The printed text quality is not always as good as
    obtained from AR. However it loads much much quicker than AR which is
    a real boon looking at pdfs in the browser.

    Malcolm Moore, Mar 16, 2006
  11. Mutlley

    Jasen Betts Guest

    I use xpdf, I've yet to have it reject a document. may not be any use to you.

    Jasen Betts, Apr 29, 2006
  12. Mutlley

    Jasen Betts Guest

    I find gv is slow with gradient shading.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Apr 29, 2006