Has Adobe gone nuts??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mutlley, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. Mutlley

    Mutlley Guest

    One our people here at work received a PDF file today. She went to
    open it and was told that she has to upgrade to Reader 7. She
    currently has Acrobat 6 full version . She downloaded reader 7 but
    when she went to open the file was advise that she would have to
    "Activate" the reader to use it????

    Just out of interest I clicked on the Activate link and guess what. I
    had to create a M$ Passport account. I used my Hotmail address and
    after filling in fictitious info for Adobe it then said that it was
    download the latest DRM files for Acrobat reader.

    Now I ask you what the frack do you have to activate a reader for and
    download DRM crap as well. Is Adobe trying to outdo MS and the MPAA
    in DRM and the like.

    Is there another reader that will read these files without the
    activation process??

    We declined the DRM install.

    Mutlley, Mar 14, 2006

  2. Mutlley

    Invisible Guest

    Weird!

    Try this, it's a standalone reader:

    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

    Invisible, Mar 14, 2006

  3. their software is becoming overly bloated as they try and continually make
    'improvements'.

    But, they had the software about right 5 years ago and IMHO the additional
    development has been shite. They are trying to put 3d shit in their too.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 14, 2006
  4. Yes. GhostScript. IIRC also available on Windows.

    kPDF, and xPDF - both available on *nix.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 14, 2006
  5. Mutlley

    Mutley Guest

    Mutley, Mar 14, 2006
  6. Mutlley

    Vincent Vega Guest

    I couldn't believe the size of it when I downloaded - 20 megabytes!
    Quicktime player is another piece of software that's been bloated up with
    unnecessary features. It takes a bit of digging to find a version that
    doesn't have iTunes bundled with it.

    Vincent Vega, Mar 14, 2006
  7. Mutlley

    -=rjh=- Guest

    To give Adobe credit, V7.0 of the reader opens a *lot* faster than V6.0;
    but I still prefer to use Foxit Reader

    -=rjh=-, Mar 14, 2006
  8. But, a 20mb download just to read files in their format?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 14, 2006
  9. Mutlley

    thingy Guest

    Is there a version (without itunes)?

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 14, 2006
  10. Mutlley

    David Guest

    If you have winrar, 7zip or similar installed, you can right click on
    the quicktime+itunes installer, extract it, delete everything except
    quicktimeinstaller.exe and run that. However it still takes a lot of
    screwing around to restore your file associations, MIME associations,
    plugin associations in your browser, remove that junk that runs at
    startup, change its settings so it wont reinstall the start-up thing
    everytime you run quicktime... But when you've finished, you can open
    ..mov files. yay. Try VLC instead, it probably opens most of what
    quicktime does. Sorry, don't have any quicktime files on hand to test with.

    David, Mar 14, 2006
  11. Mutlley

    Crains Guest

    I have installed Adobe Reader 7 with no such complications. Are you sure the
    actual pdf you were trying to open wasn't protected by DRM?

    Crains, Mar 14, 2006
  12. Malcolm Moore, Mar 14, 2006
  13. Mutlley

    Peter Guest

    Tell the sender the pdf is remaining unopened. Suggest they download Open
    Office and create the pdf using that.

    Peter, Mar 14, 2006
  14. Nathan Mercer, Mar 14, 2006
  15. Mutlley

    Jonno Guest

    Try Quicktime Alternative from : http://www.etplanet.com/download/
    They have a Real Player Alternative as well.

    Jonno, Mar 14, 2006
  16. Mutlley

    Barry Lennox Guest

    That's the wrong approach. The correct way is to bounce the file
    directly back to the sender, and ask them to stop sending crap. Demand
    they re-send it in a format that folk who choose not to upgrade every
    year can read.

    The whole point of the Internet is to make information accessible, not
    get involved in crazy software upgrades to make some wanker richer, or
    give the aforementioned wanker many more rights to your PC.

    Imagine the public reaction if Toyota changed their petrol filler
    size, so you could only buy petrol at a "Toyota franchised" gas
    station.

    We need to behave the same with bloatware writers.

    Barry Lennox, Mar 14, 2006
  17. Mutlley

    RJ Guest

    Adobe are morons. I tried to download a FULL release of 7.07 from their
    site. They used to give you this choice but now, the only thing you can
    download is a Download Manager (c. 512K) that then downloads the rest of
    it, to somewhere, not sure it can be reused. Stuck now with 7.0 and the
    update, two files to install on each machine instead of one.

    Also, it pops up that update dialog all the time, asking you to install
    the updates. They only download from Adobe, if they had any brains they
    would let the updates come from your own corporate servers.

    RJ, Mar 14, 2006
  18. you can download the full version - just need to find the obscure link.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 14, 2006
  19. Mutlley

    Adam Cameron Guest

    I have installed Adobe Reader 7 with no such complications.

    Nor did I.
    Sounds feasible to me.

    Adam Cameron, Mar 14, 2006
  20. Mutlley